Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help solve my sputtering mystery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM
KrustyHD222
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help solve my sputtering mystery?

Greetings to fellow forum-ites,

I've been a little hesitant to post my problem but I think this is place to solve it! So here goes:

2003 Ultra Classic FI, 95" bore, SE203 cams, BUB7 exhaust w/crossover, K&N filter, PCIII USB (removed), upgraded to PCV (not installed yet).

Recently the bike started sputtering around 3000-4000 rpm. Even while cruising at 75 a slight throttle change in that RPM range caused the bike to buck & sputter. No codes showing up. Had historic codes for open EFI relay and no combustion front/rear cylinder & front injector open/low. Relay swap made no difference. Checked injectors, wiring was OK, haven't tested injectors yet.

Removed PCIII and sent to Dynojet - found out it was nothing more than a paperweight. Dead. Dynojet sent me a PCV for $150. Haven't installed it yet since my thinking is that I want to correct the sputtering problem before I slap a PCV on and "mask" the problem - but I could be wrong which is why I'm here.

The short list of things I've done so far:
  • New fuel filter, fuel regulator, submersible lines (I had holes in the internal lines as usual)
  • New CHT and MAP sensor
  • Cleaned IAC motor & TPS (voltage on TPS is in spec & smooth)
  • Cleaned out throttle body w/TB cleaner
  • Ran 2 tanks of seafoam
  • new Autolite plugs & new HD wires (1 step cooler on the plugs, gapped at .040)
Since cleaning the IAC and swapping the CHT, the bike runs a little better but still has the sputtering/hesitation between 3-4000 RPM. Idle is much better/steady.

I currently don't have the PCV installed. Will the PCV solve that hesitation/sputtering? HD mechanic and other gearheads I've talked to say yes but I'm not so sure...?

Any help/input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by KrustyHD222; 10-04-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty much tells ya its was the bad PCIII............Do ya think something went ta hell be fore the Prehistoric PCIII died ! Put the PCV an go from there !

Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Pretty much tells ya its was the bad PCIII............Do ya think something went ta hell be fore the Prehistoric PCIII died ! Put the PCV an go from there !
Have to agree. At this point the only thing you know is bad is the PCIII. replace that first.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 PM
KrustyHD222
Advanced

Originally Posted by Duracell
Have to agree. At this point the only thing you know is bad is the PCIII. replace that first.

I agree with you guys on that - probably overthinking this whole dam thing.

I'll keep you posted. Diving into the PCV install tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Running lean will make it run like that install pcv see if it fixes it

Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Just installing the PCV without the correct map for the 203 cams won't fix the problem. The dynajet map I would try is M15-011-051.pvm It is for 2010 Harley Davidson Touring Model
Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Pro Pipe
Zippers Maxflow air cleaner
Andrews 54G cams
Stage 1 ECM
It is the closest I have found for the 203 cam. In fact I put it on a 2008 Dyna with a 203 and it worked fine. If you have a contact with Fuel Moto they can send you a good map. In the RPM range you are talking about it needs to be about 20% richer from 20% throttle on up. Below 20% it can be stock mixture. Higher duration cams have to run much leaner below 20% throttle since they are less efficient there due to the overlap being greater.

Last edited by ke5rbd; 10-04-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM
KrustyHD222
Advanced

Ke5 thanks for the data - I talked to Jaime (great guy) at Fuelmoto & he hooked me up with a map for my setup. I will try both maps. HOWEVER things came to a screeching halt when I found a crack in the crossover pipe about 3 inches down from the rear cylinder head. This is the second time that pipe has cracked - replaced it last year with a free swap from Bub/Rinehart. Probly gonna hold off on the PCV until I get that welded or replaced. I will try to post a pic later - on the mobile version right now.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 PM
KrustyHD222
Advanced
Default I'm a believer!

Thanks to everyone for their input. I downloaded the map from fuelmoto and installed the PCV on the bike. Took all of 15 minutes. Took her for a test beating - all I can say is that the PCV worked wonders! No more sputter and feels seat-of-the-pants better. Power delivery is much smoother. You guys were right - I owe youse a beer!

Now I just have to fix the busted exhaust & I think I'm in business.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:04 PM
KrustyHD222
Advanced
Thumbs down Bad News

Took a 1500 mile trip through Illinois/Iowa. Ran it with the new PCV - about 750 miles into it the bike started to stutter when the cruise control was on & a load was put on the engine. Problem became progressively worse on the way home with the bike sputtering and popping exhaust when passing trucks at higher RPM. Was not really RPM specific per se but it always seemed to occurr in the range of 2200-2400 RPM and then 3200-3400 on partial throttle. Plenty of power when I cracked it wide open and no sputtering.

I sprayed WD-40 near the intake manifold to check for leaks but there was no change in idle.

BUT...I did see what looked like oil stains on the bottom of the intake manifold...? I'm attributing that to blow-by?

I've been researching the forums and I'm thinking it's a bad TPS? No codes in the bike. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:04 PM
KrustyHD222
Advanced
Thumbs down

deleted double post

Last edited by KrustyHD222; 10-10-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Help solve my sputtering mystery?