Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no baffles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 PM
MLHJR1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no baffles

I am thinking about yanking the baffles out of my mufflers.. and running empty canned.
Any one else doing this?

Mo

Old 10-03-2012, 10:41 PM
SkipCarey
Tourer

Ive been doin it for years with no obvious loss of low end torque as is claimed on these forums but Ive never had my ride dynoed either it just seemed a waste of money to me,I suspect if there is a loss of low end torque its probably so slight the average rider wouldnt notice also I believe strongly that exhaust length is surely a factor that contributes to back pressure. just look at the exhaust on the fastest piston driven vehicle on earth a top fuel dragster........nothin fancy there

Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 PM
MLHJR1
Cruiser

I am running V&H power duals.. I have a set of D&D mufflers... that are just too quiet for what I am wanting. In my efforts to get louder I bought some V&H 4 inch slash rounds.. some improvements.. but I am looking for some more. I as told I could this.. So I think I am going to rip out the baffles of the D&D and slip them on and see how they sounds with out a baffle.

If they are too loud, then I will get a set of teh QQ baffles from Big City Thunder.. I hear those re good baffles to put on.
Mo

Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MLHJR1
I am thinking about yanking the baffles out of my mufflers.. and running empty canned.
Any one else doing this?

Mo
Why? Not rippin, just never understood.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a set of D&D slip ons. They sound like stock mufflers to me. I took the baffles out and they were not to bad. I also tried running them with one baffle out. That sounded really good. Not super loud.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MLHJR1
Any one else doing this?

Mo
Yep,
I had done this for a month or so.
The sound increased dramatically, with no noticable loss in power.
I constantly read nay sayers pipe in about "the cat has to go, it is the best solution" but didn't find that to be the case.

I opened my mufllers up to their welded seam (2"), and it had a nice thump, then bark when I got on it. They are a full open breathable muffler when the baffles are gone. The cat is not restrictive sound wise. It does heat up and work on that principal, but doesn't really effect the sound as much as opening up the *** ends of the mufflers. This is on a 2012 FLHTC.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled the baffles for a day on my Deuce with V&H Staggered Big-Shots. One day was enough for me!!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Anyone else take the cat out of the header and not notice any difference cuz it was very noticeable on my RK?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipCarey
Ive been doin it for years with no obvious loss of low end torque as is claimed on these forums but Ive never had my ride dynoed either it just seemed a waste of money to me,I suspect if there is a loss of low end torque its probably so slight the average rider wouldnt notice also I believe strongly that exhaust length is surely a factor that contributes to back pressure. just look at the exhaust on the fastest piston driven vehicle on earth a top fuel dragster........nothin fancy there
I don't want to start an argument, but there is an obvious loss of power in most cases. Also, in most cases, the bike sounds to the rider as if it has even more power, it's the mind and the hearing that fool the rider. But, that said, we can all do what we want, but it is apparently obvious you do not understand what is involved, the top fuel race bike example proves that, there IS something fancy there, enough air and fuel going in the cylinders to warrant enough exhaust back pressure to get the torque. The more you open the exhaust, the more air and fuel you need to keep the same level of performance. Yes, it's more complicated than that, but simple enough to do a before baffle removal and after baffle removal on a dyno.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Paul David
Stage I

I removed my baffles and gutted my cat runs much better and sounds amazing

Quick Reply: no baffles