Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no baffles

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:35 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good read TUCCI,
thanks for the post.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 AM
tbroder55
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember to change the jet in the carb, as this could be a problem with heating up.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM
jrowan4
Advanced

I bought my deuce with un-baffled pipes and I hate it. I find the sound to be too high pitched. I personally prefer the low rumble of good pipes with baffles. I got a good price and will change the pipes soon.

Keep in mind that un-baffled pipes will also cause reversion. The video link here has a good take on reversion.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 AM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it with my '02 Superglide a few years ago and it sounded tinny and cheap. Louder yes, but not in a good way.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 PM
MLHJR1
Cruiser

I finally got the time to pull the baffles out.. FIred it up and the garage.. and it was a lot louder..

Will getter on the road tomorrow. Probably will order some Monster baffles from Big City. A nice road test will tell.
Mo

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

stock pipes on a touring bike with the baffles knocked out,sound like crap. sportsters, softails,dynas.. all have a glass pack with a plug welded in the middle,they sound ok/god opened up. touring bikes have an actual chambered muffler just like a car. when you knock out the center, you just get a high pitched tinny exhaust leak sound.if you can drill out enough to stick a strait pipe in the center, you will basically have a drag pipe. it would be loud, but sound good. your best bet is to find an aftermarket set of slipons... i have worked on and modified a LOT of bikes, have never felt a loss in performance from pulling baffles.. that can only be seen on a dyno. you will never see peek power on the road anyway.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 PM
MLHJR1
Cruiser

Jimmy.. currently, I have V&H power duals.. and the D&D mufflers.. I pulled the baffle out of the D&D muffler..

Nothing stock about my exhaust my friend.. :-)

Mo

Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the V&H Big Shot Duals. I just pulled the baffles out this past weekend and installed a set of Thunder Monster Original Baffles. As soon as I got on the bike I noticed a decent amount of loss in torque. I had the V&H's installed before I left the dealership so riding with those is all I have to compare to. Debating on whether or not I want to put the regular baffles back in or not.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Many, many, many riders equate noise with horsepower. It is not a valid correlation, to say the least. Harleys very much need a certain amount of back pressure to crank out their best horsepower, as do lots of 2 strokes.
Dynos don't lie, but riders sometimes are misinformed.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,157 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by fightingmajor
I have the V&H Big Shot Duals. I just pulled the baffles out this past weekend and installed a set of Thunder Monster Original Baffles. As soon as I got on the bike I noticed a decent amount of loss in torque. I had the V&H's installed before I left the dealership so riding with those is all I have to compare to. Debating on whether or not I want to put the regular baffles back in or not.
If you like the sound of the Monster Baffles, another option is to install a set of Thunder Torque Inserts along with the Monster Baffles. You will keep the same sound, BUT you will also gain all the lost torque back plus more.

Quick Reply: no baffles