Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP please choosing electra glide or road glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012 | 09:31 PM
redrott
|
Advanced
Default HELP please choosing electra glide or road glide

I am looking at a 2004 electra glide standard with 11700 miles and a 2004 road glide with 21000 miles. I am liking the low mileage on the standard but don't really like the dull aluminum engine primary trans covers. I like the road glide better anyway plus it has the chrome trim and lots more chrome added.

They are both $10500 so that doesn't help at all. Only hang up on the road glide is worrying about the cam chain tensionors. Being at 21000 miles already. I figure the standard has a little while before I would have to worry about it. But don't really want to go straight to the shop with the glide just to have those checked or replaced as soon as I get it.

Give me some help on this choice its driving me nuts

Old 10-03-2012 | 09:40 PM
dv102
Road Captain

Either one would do. The road glide might be a better ride nd may have more options (radio) YOu will have to change tensioners on either one sooner or later. I had a 2001 Eglide Classic and changed the tensioners at 36K and the my eglide I got now I changed them at 40K. So don't let the tensioner problem be the deciding factor buy the one you like the best.

Old 10-03-2012 | 09:44 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Wow...so much has changed from 2004. Engine, transmission, suspension, frame, wheels, tires, you name it.

Brand new these the Road Glide Custom is $19,700 or so. 103 engine, 6 speed, warranty, everything! I'd say save a bit of coin, and perhaps get a 2012 leftover which is really the same bike for a bargain. I know it's more, but I think you would SAVE money in the long run!

Old 10-03-2012 | 09:57 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Wow...so much has changed from 2004. Engine, transmission, suspension, frame, wheels, tires, you name it.

Brand new these the Road Glide Custom is $19,700 or so. 103 engine, 6 speed, warranty, everything! I'd say save a bit of coin, and perhaps get a 2012 leftover which is really the same bike for a bargain. I know it's more, but I think you would SAVE money in the long run!
I'll agree with that.

I have a Street Glide, with over 20k miles. It's essentially very similar to the E-Glide.

This is also the last season it will be a Street Glide. I've got all the parts in my home office needed to convert it to a Road Glide. Just waiting until winter to get here.

Yes, if you like the looks, the ride of a RG is that much better.

Old 10-03-2012 | 10:11 PM
BackRoader
Road Master

I have a EG Standard and love it. Purposely bought it cause it is kinda like a blank slate, ready to be personalized. I have replaced derby covers and other items with chrome parts, which really does not match the polished aluminum primary cover, etc. I use Mothers aluminum wheel polish on all the aluminum and it makes it shine like chrome. You can hardly tell the difference between the chrome and aluminum parts. The Mothers product works without a lot of elbow grease, but does take some time to get in all the nooks and crannys. Once a year keeps my bike looking good.

Old 10-03-2012 | 10:22 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

For being 2004, I think both are priced a bit on the high side, changing out the cam chain tensioner is not that big of a deal, maybe you can negotiate the cost in a lower price.

Old 10-03-2012 | 10:47 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

You can get a bike that is reasonably positive (but not guaranteed) to avoid major repair costs but it comes with a new bike payment. By purchasing a used bike you avoid the payment but accept the likelihood of nearer repairs so don't let that stop you from getting what you like. My eglide rocks, but if a road glide is for you, I'd get it. If you settle for something you don't want you will be riding the bike thinking about the other. Get what you want on the first run.

Like suggested above, the stealer might work out a few inspections/ repairs in the deal.

Old 10-03-2012 | 10:50 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

You should be able to close the deal with the cam chain tensioners replaced on the Fugly.

Old 10-03-2012 | 11:30 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

IMO both are a little overpriced , they are different handling bikes as well so it's important to know which you will be happier on. For me hands down the Road Glide is my bike of choice, but not for everyone.

If you go with the RG get them to drop the price 500-1000 to pay for tensioners if your worried about it, do the SE Hyd up grade and swap out the cams while your in there with a set of SE204 and for about $1000 -1400 or half that if you do the work you will take care of the tensioner issue for life and wake up that 88

Old 10-04-2012 | 04:41 AM
Big E1
Tourer

I like lower miles. Both great bikes.

Quick Reply: HELP please choosing electra glide or road glide