Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Ultra, Second Oil Change, Burning Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM
steve_h
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Ultra, Second Oil Change, Burning Oil?

Did my own 1000 mile service at 1017 miles, using checklist and service manual. Did a thorough job. Only issue noted was clutch needed adjustment. Used Mobil-1 20W50 Vtwin in the primary and engine, and lucas gear oil in the trans.

Just did my second oil change yesterday at 3980 miles (doing 1000, 4000, 7000 and 10000 then every 5k after that).

Drained the engine oil and removed filter. A very small amount of oil was lost when changing filter, maybe an OZ or two.

When I checked how much oil came out of the engine pan, it was just under 2 quarts. Took three quarts to refill back to half way up the dipstick.

Engine running OK otherwise, no issues. No metal on engine magnetic plug, moderate metal on the primary magnetic plug. Being over a quart down seems excessive for a 3000 mile interval.

Thoughts?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,272 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Check your owners manual to see what the oil capacity (including filter) is for your bike.
I'm pretty sure that it is 4 quarts.

I have a 2000 Ultra with 79,500 miles on it and I just changed the oil and filter on yesterday at about 2500 miles.
I normally change my oil (dino H-D) at 3,000 miles but I'm selling the bike and I told the buyer that I would service it before he picks it up.

Anyways, when I drained the oil, and dumped most of the oil out of the filter it filled a gallon jug nearly to the neck.

When I put the oil in my bike, I out in three quarts and then start the bike and let it run until the oil light goes out and I then add the final (4th) quart.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Strait
Cruiser

I've got right at 4000 on my 12 street glide, as you did, I did my 1k myself except I went hd syn 3 in engine tranny and primary mine used a little oil till about 2000 miles. Figure the rings were still trying to seat but it was no where near a quart maybe a few ounces as I regularly checked my oil level and topped if off as necessary but when I put the exact amount of oil that the book calls for back in mine on hot it was barely over half way between full and add so I added a little more to bring it on up on the stick. Haven't had any problems since then. Maybe this Will help and I think mine was almost 4 quarts also but I may be wrong on this as I cannot remember that kinda stuff anymore because I have to much stuff sitting at the house so I have to read the manual every time.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 AM
steve_h
6th Gear

Manual says 3.5 or 4 quarts, don't remember right now, but I keep it half way up the stick to keep it from blowing a lot of oil out the vents and down on to my motor nose cone.

Took 3 qts to get it back to that level. I'm guessing the other 0.5 - 1.0 quarts remained in the engine, maybe in the oil cooler / lines / elsewhere.

I was just mainly concerned that I was only able to drain a little less than 2 quarts during the oil change. Perhaps I will blow the cooler lines out next time and see how much more I get.

I'll be honest, I hadn't checked the dip stick for a while before the change so I don't know what that level was right before the oil change, but I will be keeping tabs on it for this next 3000 mi to see if it's losing any.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:43 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These may be overly simplistic, silly questions but I will ask anyway....did you account for the oil in the filter you took off? Also, did notice the oil level before you started the oil change. Was it reading low?

Your not going to get all the oil out when you drain and you had a full oil filter. Maybe that is a chunk of your difference. Also, check for oil around your air cleaner. If you have a heavy breather like a Big Sucker you may be losing some oil to blow-by.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:43 AM
steve_h
6th Gear

Another thing I just remembered, I did the 1000mi service oil change on the lift so the bike was level and upright, whereas this one I did on the side stand. The drain plug is on the low side of the pan when on the side stand so I figured that was fine, but maybe that was part of the issue too..... ?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM
steve_h
6th Gear

Yes, bike has a Fuel Moto intake that I run the filter exposed on, and it does drip if the oil level is above about 1/2 way on the stick.

I did dump the oil from the filter into the pan before I put it back in the jug to measure.

Probably just worrying too much, I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it's all good at 7000mi.