Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam tensioner lucky day

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 AM
kjay
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam tensioner lucky day

So to make a long story short i wanted to get into the cam chest on my 99 roadking to see what is going on. I loossen the exhaust system and cut an allen key to get to the elussive bolt.

I found out i already have the gear conversion and not cam tensioner bombs. I also found out i have s&s Adjustable push rods. Not sure what those do lol if someone wants to enlighten me great.

I also have the MM efi. It was suggested to me that i get a new ecm made by S&S and my bike can be tuned in much better. I look at this ordeal that i save $2000 on my bike cause i was going to upgrade the cam tensioner.

besides ridding my bike what would you do to make this bike perform better at this point, is getting a new S&S ecm a smart idea, all commnets welcomed. clearly i know very little about what i am doing so any direction is appreciated.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

The adjustable pushrods allowed whoever installed your cams to do so without disturbing the rocker assemblies. It is possible the previous owner, having invested in gear cams (they ain't cheap!) may also have tuned the bike, so unless you plan further changes you could just leave it as is and ride!

If you are really curious, call by a dyno shop and ask them to do a run with air/fuel ratios, so you can see what you have.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you know what cams you have in there? I heard that efi system has problems, my 99 is a carb, since all of that is done put a big bore kit in it, there are a lot out there from 95 to 98 inches. The adjustable pushrods were probably put in so they did not have to take the top of the engine apart to change the cams.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 AM
kjay
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow awsome info guys really appreciate it, funny thing is it had the stock airbox on the bike. i have since added satge 1 and a doeback efi tuner.

It was suggested i get rid of that tuner, the bike does have lots of vibration, i know its partially the way the motor is not rubber mounted. I am really looking for the deeper rumble and making the bike run the best i can . currently have reinharts and stage 1

forums like this are just amazing the vast knowledge others are willing to share.

very thankful all comments welcome.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Your motor is rubber mounted, thats why it shakes so much.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,859 Posts

You may want to have the motor supports checked, as well as close visual inspection of the "Y" headpipe.

This spring, I had the S/E Hyd. Cam Chain Tensioner Kit installed in my 2000 Ultra at 77,000 miles (second time for adjusters) and the indy found thatmy "Y" pipe was cracked (which is a common problem) and can make the bike decel, not idle smoothly, and can contribute to engine shake especially at idle RPM's.

Due to the age and mileage of my bike, and the fact that it had a miss at constant speed and RPM, in search of the problem I replaced the spark plugs and wires, the intake seals, and the TPS without success.

I finally took it back to the indy who did the S/E kit and he replaced the Engine Temperature Sensor and then discovered that the ECM was the base problem.

THe new ECM, which according to him has been modified several times and took some time to dial in with the TPS, and it still does not start as quickly (takes a couple of engine turns sometimes) as the old ECM , but that frustrating miss is gone and it runs about the same as my other bikes.