Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Seat Dilhemma

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007 | 02:26 PM
KingsJester
|
Intermediate
Default RE: Mustang Seat Dilhemma

Sounds like I'm narrowing it down here, just a couple of more questions. Is the Solo Seat w/ driver's backrest as comfortable as the one-piece touring seat? And, any suggestions on a easily removed passenger's backrest mount (didn't we use to call them sissy bars?) I ordered one, but it's the one with the 4 rails, very shiney, lots of chrome, has a license plate bracket, and the backrest has the studs and the Road King symbol on it. The only thing is, I really wanted something removable when I bought this one. So if anyone's looking for that type of backrest let me know. I want to make this convertible (typical Gemini, of 2 minds about everything). Thanks for all the HELP, we're almost there.
Andy

Old 01-27-2007 | 03:39 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Never had a one-piece, so I can;t comepare. I can say that I find mine very comfortable!

Old 01-29-2007 | 10:30 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Had two MoCo seats, IMO, think HD's seats suck.

Old 01-29-2007 | 11:14 PM
Fastlane
Tourer

Might want to check out Corbin saddles. Corbin uses leather which breathes and has firm foam that conforms to and supports the individual.

Old 01-30-2007 | 08:24 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Actually my stock anniversay seat wasn't too bad. I really wanted a good backrest. After finding and installing my Mustang seat and backrest I find it even more comfortable. Comparing the quality of it to the stock seat, there actually is no comparison. The Mustang is far better in that respect as well. After installing it, with the studs and conchos, it really looks better as well. All in all I am very pleased in the Mustang. Comparing leather to seat vinyl I have found vinyl to be easier to keep clean and its waterproof as well. Good enough for me.

Old 01-30-2007 | 08:59 AM
jmorton10
Road Captain

The problem really is that a seat that is super comfortable for one person may not suit another person at all.

I have an 04 RK CUSTOM That is a Corbin Solo seat shown in the pic. I originally tried a wide Mustang Solo W/rider backrest & never really liked it although other people love them. I switched back & forth between the Mustang & Corbin for a while making sure I made the right decision on which one to keep.

The Mustang sat too high & too far forward & didn't fit my butt anywhere near as well as the Corbin. I alsofind a leather seating surface to be far more comfortable & Mustang only offers vinyl. Leather takes a little more maintenance, but it is WELL worth it IMHO(an occasional treatment with Lexol will keep it new for years)

Although the appearance of the seats was not the first thing on my mind, the Corbin is definitely ahead in that area also as the Mustang leaves all the ugly frame welds exposed for some reason(both the Harley & the Corbin seats cover this area nicely). This is such a poor design it has always baffled me, it's almost as if the original designer never tried the finished product on an actual motorcycle.......

~John

Old 06-01-2007 | 06:47 PM
thatguy
Tourer

How does the passenger grab rail work with the wider Ultra Touring Smooth Seat... enough room to grab it?

Old 06-01-2007 | 11:18 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

I just ordered a Mustang Solo w/backrest. I know some riders who have had both and they said the major difference is in comfort over a long haul (over 4 hrs), otherwise you can't tell the difference.