Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting for red light to change

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Wild Duck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waiting for red light to change

How long do you guys wait for the green? I just sat in a left turn lane through 2 complete cycles of all the other lights and on the 3rd. round, when the oncoming left turn went I said screw it and went. I read somewhere that reving the bike will cause the alternator to activate the sensor....that didn't work.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Fathead2003
Tourer

I have a magnetic device I picked up years ago which helps trip the sensors but is not 100%. It sticks to the bottom of the frame.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Check your state laws. Here in Minnesota, and some other states, you can proceed, when safe to do so, if the light won't change.

Try putting your kick stand down right over the sensor in the lane. I've read that tip on several different sites.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At my usual intersections, where i know the cycle of the lights, I'll run the red as quick as I can safely make it across.

I never think twice as long as I cant see any LEO's and I have full visibility of the intersection.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 PM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Duck
How long do you guys wait for the green? I just sat in a left turn lane through 2 complete cycles of all the other lights and on the 3rd. round, when the oncoming left turn went I said screw it and went. I read somewhere that reving the bike will cause the alternator to activate the sensor....that didn't work.
Well, you put up with longer than I would have. If a light does not change for me in one cycle, I'm running as soon as the coast is clear.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

In VA if the light cycles twice and you don't get the green you can legally run it. There is also a maximum time allowed if you are at a traffic actuated intersection that isn't tripping. I can't remember the time that has to elapse before you can run it though. You don't have the right of way obviously so proceed with caution but you can't be ticketed.

Revving the engine will not trip the signal but the kick stand trick might. I have never tried that but the wire loop in the street is an impedance loop and is effected by metal objects, with a car it is the size of the interference within the loop, A bike isn't always big enough to affect it but putting the kick stand directly over the wire loop puts the metal in a much closer proximity and that might work.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

In North Carolina, waiting 3 minutes is "an admissible defense". Meaning, you can get a ticket for running the light, and then somehow have to prove to a judge that you waited the 3 minutes at your trial. Nice, huh?

I'm on a Road King and an Ultra, not sure if that helps. I read somewhere that if there is a sensor plate or whatever, stopping right on the line in the pavement will help. So far, I've only had to use the 3 minute rule once or twice over the years.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:14 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

40 seconds is the law in Wisconsin

Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

One time I waited 10 cycles but to be honest it was late at night and the warming of the engine felt good...then I ran it!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

One cycle for me. Even did it in front of an LEO on a left turn with a turn lane. He was waiting at the red light for the cross direction. The left turn signal stayed red while the straight ahead lanes went green. I waited for an opening and booked. LEO ignored me...

Around here my only issue is turn lanes. The others seem to cycle normally even w/o being triggered by me. Also left turns they now go blinking yellow after the green cycle happens. That is good and bad - great if making a left, but you can no longer trust a green light through the intersection. Someone can left turn in front of you...

Quick Reply: Waiting for red light to change