Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Ultra Limited Starter Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012 | 09:41 PM
DresserDude
|
Road Warrior
Default 2011 Ultra Limited Starter Switch *Bike Not Starting*

Ok, this happened to me 2 times recently. First, I never use the "RUN" switch so it is ALWAYS ON. It's my 7th Harley, yadda, yadda.

I get on the bike, turn the ignition switch on, wait for the engine lights to go out and hit the starter....... absolutely nothing, no noises, or clicks, nothing. So I turn off the ignition switch and then back on, hit the starter and it fires right up. Happened twice. Both times the bike was room temp, first start of the day.

Is there anything I should look at???? I wrench on my own bike and do not like taking it to the dealer. I think I have a little bit of warranty left.

Last edited by DresserDude; 09-26-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2012 | 12:53 AM
Flyingdrp
Advanced

My 2011 FLHTK has a neutral safety switch. Did you have the bike in neutral or have the clutch pulled all the way in? Without one of these being done, the starter won't work.
Rp

Old 09-27-2012 | 01:16 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

if you have warranty, I'd suggest you take it in- explain that this happens rarely- but has become more frequent.

pose this as a safety issue; "if I stall the bike in the way of traffic, what if I cannot restart?"

I would guess that it could be a weak ign. switch.

the older models had problems with the switch if extra lighting load was installed up front-

mike

Old 09-27-2012 | 06:12 AM
DresserDude
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Flyingdrp
My 2011 FLHTK has a neutral safety switch. Did you have the bike in neutral or have the clutch pulled all the way in? Without one of these being done, the starter won't work.
Rp

I just went out to test this theory and I had my bike in neutral and I did NOT pull in the clutch lever and it fired right up. Hmmm?????

Typically I do have the clutch pulled in but just wanted to try this out and viola, it fired right up.

Old 09-27-2012 | 06:44 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member

I've had that same problem happen to me 2-3 times.Always start the bike in neutral,with the clutch in.Same year bike,same model.Let me know what you find out...

Old 09-27-2012 | 07:17 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

It's happened to me a couple times also.
I always start it in neutral,no clutch.

Old 09-27-2012 | 07:42 AM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DresserDude
I just went out to test this theory and I had my bike in neutral and I did NOT pull in the clutch lever and it fired right up. Hmmm?????

Typically I do have the clutch pulled in but just wanted to try this out and viola, it fired right up.
That is what should happen. If you have the bike in nuetral OR have the clutch pulled, it should start.

Old 09-27-2012 | 09:30 AM
jlguess
1st Gear

I have had the same problem twice. Same bike same year. Both times bike was hot, in gear, clutch in. Subscribing

Old 09-27-2012 | 10:22 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by DresserDude

I don't think his first name is Viola!

Old 09-27-2012 | 11:22 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

I would try starting it in gear with clutch in a few times then in neutral without clutch in. It's going to be your clutch switch most of the time. Did you change your levers by chance? Not hard to screw up the switch if so.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ultra Limited Starter Switch