Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Classic or Street Glide???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012 | 01:11 AM
TJ_Ben
|
Advanced
Default Road King Classic or Street Glide???

So, I've been lurking around the forum for quite a while and been reading up on all reports, reviews and impressions available. I've narrowed down my choices for a new (to me) touring model to either the RKC or the Street Glide.
Before you guys start posting the obvious suggestion, which is to test-ride both back to back, what I'd really like to know is what YOU think, why did YOU choose one over the other.

I've already got great deals lined up for either one of the two from my local dealer ('11 RKC and a '12 SG), now I've gotta make my mind up before someone else snags one of 'em and makes the choice for me.
I really like both models, albeit for different reasons.
I'd very much appreciate your comments.

Go.

Old 09-26-2012 | 01:23 AM
pswomack
Road Master

Personally I prefer a radio and a fairing, I've owned a RKC as well as a Dyna Low Rider and a Sportster and several jap sport bikes. I just prefer the fairing with a radio, it all comes down to what YOU prefer and the look that YOU want.

Old 09-26-2012 | 03:12 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

that's pretty much it..fairing and radio or removable windscreen.

I have multiple bikes- i have ridden road kings thousands of miles- I doubt I would buy one over a bike with a fairing.

mike

Old 09-26-2012 | 03:28 AM
equandt
Road Warrior

I've owned a RKC and now an Ultra. I'd take the SG because of the fairing. You can be on it all day and not be beat up by the wind. Depending on the windshield you put on it, you can get as much wind in the face as you would like but the fairing keeps the wind off your body.

The RKC with the 16" WWW tires looks classic and I think RKC's ride nice with the taller side wall of the tire. I love the RKC look but I would still take the SG.

Old 09-26-2012 | 03:29 AM
indigofarm
Tourer

I have Had both. I miss the old school look and feel of the road king, but i do several big trips a year so radio, hard bags and fairing are nice to have. Also the street glide is quite nimble and handles well

Old 09-26-2012 | 04:10 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior

Street glide hands down for me. Radio and fairing and 1" lowered shocks sold me. I love RKC's but the idea of polishing all that chrome and the wire wheels and keeping ww's clean what a pia.

Old 09-26-2012 | 05:09 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

went from a RKC to an X for all the reasons above. Long trips, fairing protects you more in the rain. Tough choice, both bikes are awesome!

Old 09-26-2012 | 05:48 AM
circlenine
Tourer

Likewise on the fairing. My first bike had no windscreen. My second bike had a detachable windscreen... And then I bought my Street Glide. The post about the size of the windshield says it best. All the wind you want without it pounding up against your chest.

Old 09-26-2012 | 05:55 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the flhrc better as I like to take the wind shield off when I am in town, but on long trips and in the winter I like the windshield..also the RK doesn't have the buffetting the dressers do...and personnally I don't like to listen to the radio, even on long trips, I prefer the sound of the wind and my thoughts...

Old 09-26-2012 | 05:56 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

I had two StreetGlides and just got another Road King. I got the standard. Why? the radio is nice but didn't have to have it. The MAIN reason is the ride difference. It's amazing how different only one inch of suspension is. Even with 50 lbs of pressure in the SG shocks, I bottomed out way too often and when the GF was on the back, we hit frame even more. She's only 140 lbs so it's not a major weight thing. I'll stay with the Road King and the windshield on it works just fine on long trips.

Quick Reply: Road King Classic or Street Glide???