Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing tuners possible ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 PM
ral819
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Changing tuners possible ?

I have a Screaming Eagle Pro Super Tuner on my Streetglide. Is it possible to remove that tuner for a Power Commander ? I have been having some problems with popping on Decel and shifting. I found a Bike shop that says he can get rid of the popping but, I'll need to have a Power Commander installed. He also states you can't completely remove a SEPST, the Power Commander will have to be piggy backed... ? Cost with the Dyno and Power Commander would be around 600.00... The bike shop states SEPST's popp like that. I also have paid for the 6 year/unlimited mileage warranty when I bought the bike new. Is that warranty void after installing the SEPST ? I could use some advice here. Thanks...

Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Run away from that bike shop...they are flat out lying to you. The SEPST is a far superior tuner that reflashes your ECM and is not hooked up to the bike. It has the capability to tune your bike as well or better then any tuner out there. It's all about the guy operating the dyno and how experienced he is. Many people here have trouble with any tuner that is piggybacked (attached) to your bike. They have issues if they get wet and they do crap out.

You don't have the SEPST hooked up to your bike, right? You do have the tuner in a box somewhere safe when you originally had it dyno'ld? What pipes do you have?
Have you checked for intake or exhaust leaks. Has it always popped since you had it tuned or did it start later?

Once you have checked that you don't have an exhaust or intake leak then you have to find a guy that knows how to tune. The popping can be tuned out if there are no leaks. Don't buy another tuner, it would be a waste of money.

(and no, I don't use a SEPST tuner, I have a TTS. Either one can get you to the same great running bike) Power commander can do nothing more then the others.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 PM
ral819
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My pipes are a V&H Chrome Propipe. I never had a problem with an Earlier version of Propipe. I had to have the pipes replaced and there was a newer version of Propipe used, that was larger in the size of opening in the megaphone. That's when the popping began. No one can get rid of the pop. Dyno'd x 3...

Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Take it to a different bike shop.

I'm not a tuning expert by any means but the SEPST can access everything a Power Commander can and more. I think he's trying to sell you a Power Commander because he doesn't know how to use the SEPST as well. There is nothing wrong with the SEPST. Find someone that knows how to tune with it and save the money. Sounds like it just needs a little tweaking.

I personally prefer the SEPST because it is not a piggy back device. One less thing to malfunction.

I also strongly believe the guy operating the dyno is more important than the tuning device used. Each guy has his own preference but a good dyno operator can use any tuning device and make the bike run perfect. A bad one can take the best device and make a bike run like crap.

Good luck

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

I have the same pipe as you and have no popping. Your tune needs to be tweeked by some on other then the person who has worked on it. There is an active thread on the SEPST on this site. Search it and you we'll see some of the top tuners in the world that visit that site. See if they can recomend someone in your area. Even if you had to ride a few hours away, you'll be smiling all the way home.

Have you checked for exhaust and intake leaks? That's the first place to start. I found my exhaust bolts need to be tightened some after a few hundred miles on my new pipes. You can check your intake with a propane torch (unlit of course) point it around you intake while the bike is running and see if you hear any changes in the idle. If you do, you have a intake leak.

You have a great setup, you will get to where you want to be with it.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were to "upgrade" to anything go auto tune.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:57 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't agree that would be an upgrade to what the OP already has.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the SE Pro über tuner. The HD dealer data logged it tuned at 1K ran pretty good.
I got the bug to see what the numbers were, and took it to a shop and they gained 2 hp and 2 ft/# torque and fixed some lean areas, nice but it pinged.
Back to HD dealer, data log and they said all good to go, it still pings.

A GOOD Dyno operator is priority. As it is, I am going with a PowerVision tuner.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't understand...what are you hoping to gain by buying a new tuner?

Old 09-25-2012, 11:32 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

A Power Commander is a good tuner but is in a different leage than your SE Tuner. The PC is a piggy back tuner that tricks the ECM into making changes, the SE or any flash tuner allows you to access the ECM and truely tune the bike.

The SE or any Flash Tuner has much more tuning capability than any piggy back type tuner. Your problem is not the tuner you have a great one , it is the techs that are trying to use it, especially for something like "popping".

If you had the older Propipe and no popping and now you have it with the new pipe it may be an easy fix by just adding the quiet baffle to add back pressure instead of tuning it . A baffle is about $ 40.00 .

Or you can find a qualified tuner in your area that knows the SE Pro Tuner., or you could read the manual and try doing a self tune by data logging and adjusting the tune yourself.

Quick Reply: Changing tuners possible ?