Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight just shut off

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 PM
puttin' around
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight just shut off

OK, so headed home after dinner with my wife on a dark twisty country road with partial clouds, no street lights and about a half moon!

I always have my running lights on so people can see me easier and when I switched from low beam to high beam the whole headlight shut off for a split second. I thought, that was odd, then about a mile down the road, NO headlight at all! I'm grabbing brakes and trying to see where the hell I am, switching from high to low, nothing, switched off the running lights nothing! I get stopped and sit for a couple of seconds while my heart starts again and it comes back on. I try all the switches and it all works. OK, head out again, very cautiously, and NO headlight again. I'm almost stopped and it comes back on, I don't touch anything and it stays on until we get home.

Sitting in the garage I switch everything on and off and cannot get it to do the same thing. I know the dealership will not fix it if they cannot duplicate the problem. My bad for being long but I did a search and nothing popped.

Anyone who has had this experience please let me know so I can have this rectified ASAP! Thank you

Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

you likely have a rubbed wire shorting out on the chassis somewhere which blows the circuit breaker.

the breaker is thermal...it cools and resets, and then the short happens and it trips again.

while in the garage, try shaking teh bike, turning the bars etc.

mike

Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 PM
puttin' around
Novice

Tried the handlebars already, guess I'll try a good shaking. Thanks

Old 09-27-2012, 04:33 PM
puttin' around
Novice

Giving this a bump hoping a couple of new eyes may see it. I tried shaking the bike as well, I cannot get the problem to duplicate.

Last edited by puttin' around; 09-27-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Blueflame1
Tourer

Check that the headlight globe is plugged in all the way, and that the contacts are clean on the headlight globe.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

OK, I'll start by asking what year and how many miles on the bike?

Check the connectors and fuse for any signs of corrosion, moisture loose or broken wires. Also check the switches, do they feel right (smooth click between positions) or do they feel sloppy or binding. It won't hurt to spray a little contact cleaner in the switches and connectors either.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Throw a new bulb in there.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 PM
puttin' around
Novice

The bike is a completely stock 2011 with just under 17000 miles. The switches feel fine, solid click into place and I should clarify, the headlight and running lights were out. I know the running lights go out on high but when I switched back to low beam the running lights would not come on either! I was clicking all the switches and nothing.

I have the extended warranty but I was hoping to pinpoint a problem because I'm not sure how far the dealership will look to find a problem that cannot be duplicated.

I will look over the connectors and wires just to see and thank you for suggestions.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:04 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

As new as that is I'd doubt corrosion. Also at 17000 miles (and assuming no recent assembly) I doubt the loose (not completely mated) connectors. Since it affected both high and low beam I'd recommend checking for a loose ground or pinched/rubbing wires.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:26 PM
puttin' around
Novice

No recent assembly or mods, I'll trace some wires to see if anything sticks out. Thanks again

Quick Reply: headlight just shut off