Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nixing The BS Wave

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM
NPW
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nixing The BS Wave

Florida...98x98...(temp. x humidity)...Bike sputters and dies. I push it off to the sidewalk and begin the diagnosis phase. Tools spread out, sweating my *** off, and I begin to count the number of bikes that go by. I'm close to a stoplight so pretty easy to do and still take care of the task at hand. 2 hours later, bike fixed, (lose ignition wire) and 38 bikes rode past, 22 HD's. Guess how many stopped? Zero0000000. In 30 years of riding have never not stopped for a biker in trouble. I got to thinking, "Why do I participate in the BS waving to other bikers". It's idiotic. The fallacy that we are somehow connected by anything other than being on a bike is crap. It's just not 1970 anymore and it sucks. The whole poser "we're all bro's on 2 wheels" stuff is embarrassing. Lets face it, just because you ride a bike doesn't make you any more likely to be a Bro than anyone else. I also drive a Mustang and I don't wave to every Mustang that I see,because, why would I ? I'll always stop for a biker in distress but,except for those I know, I'm nixing the BS wave.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Seems like you had all "yuppie RUB" riders flying by while your scoot was down...which was obvious w/tools & your positioning. Biker waving is all crap - we never waved back in the 70's & 80's so I never understood why everyone on 2-wheels wants to give you the "hi ho" while riding. Unless I'm wiping something off my face - hands stay on bars...glad you got your scoot fixed, even with "0" assistance.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

We're you on the 77 sporty or the 12 street glide? I sure hope it was the sporty cuz if the 12 sputtered and died I'd have been calling the dealer and saying come get me and it and fix it!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM
NPW
Banned

On the Sportster...You are damn right...I've got 2 years before even thinkin' of having to sweat my ***** off on the side of the road with the SG...

Old 09-24-2012, 06:47 PM
husky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good points. I would've have stopped for you

Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 PM
NPW
Banned

Thanks man...I have no doubt...I know i'm a little old to get disillusioned like this but it kinda ranked up there with "What???? there is no Santa???"

Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I always wave but then again back home you always wave just out of being nice and common decency...even on a vehicle. That's one thing that kills me out here....if you wave people look at you like you crazy. I do the "BS" wave to other bikers b/c I do feel it's a sense of brotherhood and I also think it shows some common decency. I do pass many that don't wave or acknowledge in any way so for those non-sociable bastards....I'll keep waving and they can keep ignoring but in this world nowadays of selfish, inconsiderate, non common decency people....maybe I can bring a little of the good stuff back to people

Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Be thankful they wave to ya, every body gives me the finger !.....

Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM
saxfiend
Tourer

Originally Posted by NPW
I'll always stop for a biker in distress but,except for those I know, I'm nixing the BS wave.
That'll show 'em.

Anyway, it's a university town. If Gainesville is anything like it was when I lived there, the out-of-towners are in their own little world and unlikely to give a **** about somebody they don't know on the roadside. Now, if you'd been down on Payne's Prairie when you conked out, I bet somebody would have stopped for you.

JL

PS -- I bet it wouldn't have taken you two hours to get up and running again if you hadn't kept stopping to count bikes going by! haha

Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nine times out of ten when I am on my bike I am not in any hurry to get somewhere. I will stop for bikes (Harley or non) that I know are broke down on the road. Even if its to lend a phone or push the bike to safer area or a part or tool run.

Quick Reply: Nixing The BS Wave