Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Streetglide fuel pump losses power.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 AM
billmckeown
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Streetglide fuel pump losses power.

The bike is only 2 months old but had custom work done by the dealer. It has been back in for service and they found a chafed wire in the right side of the fairing going to the fuel pump that made it not start when turned to the right and that was supposedly that was fixed. It does start with bars in any position now. The one original problem, seemed related to the known voltage regulator problem where it would start to sputter and shutdown after riding and getting it hot. Since the 1000 mile service it has a new symptom. It has only happened coincenttally or not while riding two up and when trying to do a quick take off from a light, but the bike just shuts down. I get to the side of the rode, give a little while and cycle the kill and ignition switch, but the fuel pump never does the initial buzz/whine sound. The first time this happened, I checked the fuses on ECM and Fuel pump they looked good, but after pulling them and putting back in it started right up, so that is what I have done last 2 times just pull fuses and it fires right back up. I had already purchased a Thundermax programmer and exhaust and air breather and thought maybe installing the new ECM might fix the problem, but then it happened again. It has happened 3 times total now, all within the last 1200 miles, but no codes when dealer checks it. I can not recreate when I want to. Any ideas anyone.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:13 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

its a new bike. Have the dealer pick it up and give you a loaner until they figure it out

Old 09-24-2012, 10:23 AM
billmckeown
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It goes back in Saturday

It goes back in Saturday but they said they could not find anything wrong the last time it was in and since neither of us can recreate the problem, just make notes of everything that about the situation. It was not until the 3rd time yesterday that, i reallized the old lady has been on the back each time and she mentioned and is correct it has been when about to take off fast next to someone else. I do ride her hard a lot by myself(talking about the bike this time), but do ride easier with her(old lady) on the back and funny enough, when I have started to do a hard accel with her on the back it has just shut off. The bike(she) appears to be jealous.