Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob alarm or fork lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 AM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Key fob alarm or fork lock

I am interested in know what most of you use for security. I just always lock the forks if I am going to be away from the bike for a while. I have never used the key fob as I have enough crap on my key ring alread. I have a small lanyard for the key and keep it in a back pocket.

One way better than the other? Both?

Old 09-23-2012, 09:59 AM
BeauJames
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always fork lock. Use the security system if I leave it outside over night.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

I always lock the forks and ignition and bags. If I leave the bike out overnight, like at a motel, I also have a cable lock that I pass thru the rear wheel and frame. My bike has the HD alarm system w/siren and I carry a pager. Beyond that I carry complete insurance coverage for a worse case scenario.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:02 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

FOB and insurance...

Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I use the fob most of the time, if I feel I need more I lock the fork.

I like the idea of the cable through both wheels and the frame, makes very hard to move the bike.

You know, if they want it bad enough, they are going to get it. I frickin hate thieves.

BTW. I keep three different key rings, now that every vehicle has a fob it is just easier. I only add a house key and whatever each vehicle requires. My truck has a locking cover on back and now the SG has a Corbin seat key, so just two or three keys per fob. I can't stand clutter.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
FOB and insurance...
that how i am, if im at a big event where im going to be gone from the bike for long time i will lock the forks, i prob loked the 4 times in the year and alf having it. i lock the bags depending on whats in them. if noting important why lock them? if i have all my gear in there i def lock it

Old 09-23-2012, 10:23 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

My fob is the proximity sensor. No choice there. Use the neck lock over night or if I'm out of sight. And good insurance.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:23 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by slammed05fatty
that how i am, if im at a big event where im going to be gone from the bike for long time i will lock the forks, i prob loked the 4 times in the year and alf having it. i lock the bags depending on whats in them. if noting important why lock them? if i have all my gear in there i def lock it
95% of the time I am within ear and eye shot of my bike.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoBlue02
I am interested in know what most of you use for security. I just always lock the forks if I am going to be away from the bike for a while. I have never used the key fob as I have enough crap on my key ring alread. I have a small lanyard for the key and keep it in a back pocket.

One way better than the other? Both?
well, if your bike is an 07 or newer, the security via the key fob is automatic. if you have it, you will be carrying the fob.

if parking in an unfamiliar area, i lock the handlebars, security is automatic, and if overnight, i throw a disk lock on the front as well. after that, insurance takes over.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Louderisbetter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO the old school fork locks (padlock) are better than the easily defeated current ignition lock system and cable or disc locks are the best. The alarm system can be defeated pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: Key fob alarm or fork lock