Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and my Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 PM
BCC1
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default ABS and my Ultra

So last night, because of inattention on my part, I had to hit the brake(s) hard. I reverted to my sport bike training and just used the front brake, hard enough to cycle the abs. Everything turned out fine.

A few observations.

The front locked up faster than I would have thought. A lot faster. I think I'm used to much lighter, short wheelbase bikes quickly transferring weight to the front wheel. In fact, on a track on a track bike, I would only use the front, as it was strong enough to lift the rear wheel off the pavement. Not on my Limited. Not much weight transferred and the front activated the abs.

Unlike sport bikes, this bike needs both brakes applied to stop fast. Duh.

The abs works. No chance the bike was going down. Sure it cycled a few times, but no biggie.

I've locked the front on my Duc a few times with no drama. Just back off the brake fast. But I was listening to tunes on the Harley. I'm not sure I would have gotten off the brake fast enough if the abs hadn't worked.

So, I ain't ever gonna be one of those rear brake only guys. But I will try to train myself to use both brakes, when I need to stop fast.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ABS is well worth it for riding on the street with others around.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:25 AM
motorlessons
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're not getting good weight transfer, it's braking technique. Particularly with the Brembo brakes, if you properly apply the front (squeeze and progress, not simply "snapping" the lever) you will get more stopping power than most riders can use. It can and will lift you up off the seat, and toward the tank.

From your description, it definitely sounds like the application was a grab, rather than a squeeze.

With the 2009 frame change - particularly the longer swing arm - you are absolutely right that the rear brakes have gained importance. On the prior frame (up through '08) it was fairly easy to get over 90% of the braking to be from the front. In the new frame, it's much more like 80/20 even at maximum braking.

As you discovered, when the front brake is snapped on, weight transfer doesn't have time to occur. What happens then is either ABS activation or front wheel lock-up (depending on if the motor is ABS equipped) long before the maximum attainable stopping power is reached. If the front end is properly loaded, it's actually pretty difficult to get the ABS to activate.

Of course the goal isn't just to brake properly for the sake of technique, it makes a huge difference in stopping distance.

Finally, your post points out the primary benefit of ABS. You are concerned enough about helping others that you readily admitted you got caught in a moment of inattention. It's extremely easy to know the technique of proper braking. With some practice, it's fairly easy to implement the technique. But, if the moment one needs maximum braking also happens to be at the moment of inattention, or at the moment the road surface deteriorates, or at a moment when the hazard causes panic; ABS takes what would have been a locked wheel, and turns it into a controlled - if slightly longer - stop.

Thanks for putting your experience out there for others to benefit from.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Old 09-23-2012, 01:02 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,161 Likes on 12,216 Posts

One of the hardest things I had to do was change the way I brake when going from BMWs to my Ultra. The back brake certainly plays a bigger role than I'm used to. I've found that for the last couple of feet I use the rear brake only for ordinary, non panic, stops which seems to reduce the squirmy effect of the reverse triple tree, especially with a passenger. Same with tight parking lot maneuvers - back brake only. Obviously when stopping aggressively I use both brakes and rely heavily on the front (abs) brakes to haul me down.

To Harris - is that the way to do it or should I be working on using that front brake at low speeds too?

Old 09-23-2012, 01:06 AM
sycle1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yesterday coming from a country road into a small town a 4x4 in front of me stopped with no brake lights, one side were already smashed and the others didn't work I grabbed both front and back and avoided hitting him but thank you ABS, I could smell rubber but no skid or squeal.
Thats three times ABS has stopped me very quickly when needed!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 AM
TexasJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my Ultra Classic, ABS on a bike was new for me. So...I found a backroad, lit it up, then practiced shutting it down as fast and as hard as I could so I could get a sense of how the ABS worked. It impressed me!

I did multiple runs clamping down HARD from 70 - 80 mph, and the thing worked like a charm and REALLY shut the bike down quickly. Some folks bitch about the ABS but on a bike that weighs close to 1000 pounds I think it helps immensely.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 AM
BCC1
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by motorlessons
If you're not getting good weight transfer, it's braking technique. Particularly with the Brembo brakes, if you properly apply the front (squeeze and progress, not simply "snapping" the lever) you will get more stopping power than most riders can use. It can and will lift you up off the seat, and toward the tank.

From your description, it definitely sounds like the application was a grab, rather than a squeeze.

With the 2009 frame change - particularly the longer swing arm - you are absolutely right that the rear brakes have gained importance. On the prior frame (up through '08) it was fairly easy to get over 90% of the braking to be from the front. In the new frame, it's much more like 80/20 even at maximum braking.

As you discovered, when the front brake is snapped on, weight transfer doesn't have time to occur. What happens then is either ABS activation or front wheel lock-up (depending on if the motor is ABS equipped) long before the maximum attainable stopping power is reached. If the front end is properly loaded, it's actually pretty difficult to get the ABS to activate.

Of course the goal isn't just to brake properly for the sake of technique, it makes a huge difference in stopping distance.

Finally, your post points out the primary benefit of ABS. You are concerned enough about helping others that you readily admitted you got caught in a moment of inattention. It's extremely easy to know the technique of proper braking. With some practice, it's fairly easy to implement the technique. But, if the moment one needs maximum braking also happens to be at the moment of inattention, or at the moment the road surface deteriorates, or at a moment when the hazard causes panic; ABS takes what would have been a locked wheel, and turns it into a controlled - if slightly longer - stop.

Thanks for putting your experience out there for others to benefit from.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown
I think your comments are spot on.

I definitely grabbed the front brake as fast as I could as a reaction to unexpected circumstances. I appreciate the abs preventing unwanted consequences and you are right, I could have done better, if prepared.

Considering this is by far the heaviest bike I've ever ridden, I think some empty parking lot practice is in order, to get used to both it and my performance in extreme situations as clearly the size of the bike affects how I react.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

ABS is a great thing and can certainly save ya from a crash from wheel lock but it does not produce shorter stops than proper braking technique. Most riders have not practiced and/or learned proper technique. I have lost a lot of my own riding skills with age, sickness and a little (Ok a lot) of failure to practice them. While Harleys do need more rear brake than sport bikes, the fast guys on the track do still use both brakes. Proper braking, counter steering, weight transfer, and shifting should all be automatic responses. Practice Practice Practice!
OK end of rant.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:16 AM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing, BCC1.
If you haven't already, email Motorlessons for a copy of his free riding lessons booklet. Written by a professional, it's a great read with lots of practice techniques to help you refine your skills. While it is similar to both the MSF and Harley Rider's Edge courses, I believe it goes a step or two beyond both of them.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:25 AM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

for proper weight transfer you need to start appling rear brake then work into front.

Quick Reply: ABS and my Ultra