Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge moisture

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012 | 09:36 AM
Rickr01
|
Club Member
Default Gauge moisture

Well, I knew it was just a matter of time, but was hoping it was something Harley would have finally dealt with in the newer bikes? The Gauges (Speedo and Tach) on my 2010 Street Glide have been getting moisture in them. Although it does dry out if left in the sun as many here recommend, the moisture leaves water marks or stains on the inside of the glass. Short of changing out to the Dakota digitals, which I had done on one of my previous bikes because of two unsuccessful warranty swap outs, what if anything have others done? Is there a way to permanently seal these gauges or does that just make matters worse? I like my silver faced Street Glide gauges, But I won't deal with the nasy look of all the glass stains and water marks.

Old 09-22-2012 | 09:49 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

I stuffed a small packet of silica beads (like the one that comes in a bottle of pills) into the hole in the back of the gauge. Works great!

Old 09-22-2012 | 10:03 AM
Rickr01
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
I stuffed a small packet of silica beads (like the one that comes in a bottle of pills) into the hole in the back of the gauge. Works great!
Thats an interesting idea. I'm pretty bummed that the gauge face glass is all streaked even when dry now though. Doesn't look easy to disassemble?

Old 09-22-2012 | 02:04 PM
Rickr01
|
Club Member

Is there a company out there that can correct (modify) the Harley Gauges?

Old 09-22-2012 | 03:27 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
thats a prett nifty idea, i use those things in my saddle bags, they are the bigger packets of coarse.
my fuel gauge will do that once in a while but its not bad enough to leave a stain, it dries out after about 30 min in the sun

Old 09-24-2012 | 11:41 AM
Rickr01
|
Club Member

Where the heck would you place it on the dresser gauges?

I'm still trying to figure out what I can do about the staining now. I really like the look of my stock silver faced gauges but not the nasty glass stains that ruin the look. I think our gauges up here in the north tend to be more susceptible because of our wildly fluctuating riding temps. This morning it was 34F and heavy fog and dew when I left for work. Its now 68F.

Old 09-24-2012 | 02:06 PM
DED HD
Cruiser

http://www.socalitems.com/

They will fix it for ya.

Old 09-24-2012 | 05:08 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Well, I knew it was just a matter of time, but was hoping it was something Harley would have finally dealt with in the newer bikes? The Gauges (Speedo and Tach) on my 2010 Street Glide have been getting moisture in them. Although it does dry out if left in the sun as many here recommend, the moisture leaves water marks or stains on the inside of the glass. Short of changing out to the Dakota digitals, which I had done on one of my previous bikes because of two unsuccessful warranty swap outs, what if anything have others done? Is there a way to permanently seal these gauges or does that just make matters worse? I like my silver faced Street Glide gauges, But I won't deal with the nasy look of all the glass stains and water marks.
If you do a search on this topic you will find a thread that deals with issue ... he shows how to take the gauges apart, clean and reseal the gauges and then re-install .

Old 09-25-2012 | 12:30 PM
Rickr01
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
If you do a search on this topic you will find a thread that deals with issue ... he shows how to take the gauges apart, clean and reseal the gauges and then re-install .
I didn't find anything on taking them apart? I'll search again, Thanks.

Old 09-25-2012 | 12:30 PM
Rickr01
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by DED HD
http://www.socalitems.com/

They will fix it for ya.

Thanks! I just sent them an email to see what they can do. Great! Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Gauge moisture