Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle bars, very mysterious to find what works

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Handle bars, very mysterious to find what works

Okay, sorry another handlebar thread.

I have the stock OEM Roadking classic bars.

I go to the handle bar web sites and am finding a chore to discern fit over what I have and what would be the right handle bars I need.

I have 10K on my bike. I am 6'-0" 170# runner type of body.

I have chronic tendinitis in my elbows which affects my hands and ability to hang on to things. I have been getting pain in my hands of late, and
I get pain in my wrists riding for short distances, of 50 miles or less. I suppose back and shoulders are involved as I can't lean back against the backrest and grip the bars with any bend in elbow which is not relaxed posture.

What I have figured out, is I think 3" higher and back would be a good start.a

Heritage bars do not feel good at all.

Where to go from here? The bike is not really fin to ride as it is, which sucks. I hear how others have made bar swaps and riding is not painful for them.

Last edited by mgmmgm; 09-21-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Check out the "Wild Ones Chubby Bars" web site. they make lots of bars for lots of applications. Top quality also.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:18 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Finding the perfect handlebar position for You
This can make all the difference!

This is the way that has always worked for me to get the most comfortable handlebar position-
  • Sit on your bike
  • Have someone hold it up straight for you
  • Put your feet on the pegs
  • Close your eyes
  • Put your hands out to where it is most comfortable to hold them
  • Open your eyes...where ever your hands are, that is where you want the handlebar grips to be.

It's really that simple.

With this information you can adjust your existing handlebars or visit a trusted vendor to get some bars that put the grips where You need them for max comfort.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Harleydaddy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 11 RKC too with stock bars and get terrible pain in my neck and shoulders from those horrible bars! I will be swapping out to 16'' apes a soon as finances allow cuz I can't deal with this kind of discomfort when I'm riding! Absolutely terrible ergonomic design on these bars!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:39 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

It might be as simple as risers. Did that on Kaw Nomad with good results. Unfortunately with the bat wing fairing that is not an option so I went with Wild 1 575. The post above is a good suggestion to find where your hands/arms need to be.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,848 Posts

I've posted this on other threads, but I wonder just how H-D determines the position of their handlebars.

I'm 6'-2" (or used to be) and I wear a 34"-35" sleeve length shirt.

However, when I sit on my 2013 CVO Ultra, I find myself leaning over the fuel tank to reach the handlebars, with my back two or more inches away from the rider backrest.

I am long torsoed, and may sit a bit higher in the saddle than most guys but my question is, does, or can, anyone actually sit properly on a stock H-D, especially a touring model, and reach the handlebars comfortably?

Is this a plan by H-D to sell replacement handlebars and cables?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 AM
Harleydaddy
Tourer

Everything's a plan by the MoCo to sell more bling for your bike! One look at the plain jane grips and the lame pipes they put on these things will tell you that! You ever seen how thick their parts and accessory catalogs are?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:57 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go sit on a Softail Heritage at your local dealer & see how those feel. I went with the 09-11 Softail Heritage handle bars. They work great for me & they're cheap! Good luck.....

Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

2amguy...gotta agree with ya...I am 5'11" and have never sat on a stock HD where the bars were anywhere close to comfortable.

On my batwing I could not find any bars that put the grips where I wanted them. I added 7.5" to the stock bars and they are perfect.

On my sporty I put the HD mini-apes along with 2.5" riser extensions, and they are perfect.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:55 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
Okay, sorry another handlebar thread.

I have the stock OEM Roadking classic bars.

I go to the handle bar web sites and am finding a chore to discern fit over what I have and what would be the right handle bars I need.

I have 10K on my bike. I am 6'-0" 170# runner type of body.

I have chronic tendinitis in my elbows which affects my hands and ability to hang on to things. I have been getting pain in my hands of late, and
I get pain in my wrists riding for short distances, of 50 miles or less. I suppose back and shoulders are involved as I can't lean back against the backrest and grip the bars with any bend in elbow which is not relaxed posture.

What I have figured out, is I think 3" higher and back would be a good start.a

Heritage bars do not feel good at all.

Where to go from here? The bike is not really fin to ride as it is, which sucks. I hear how others have made bar swaps and riding is not painful for them.
Check out Klockwerks Ergo Back bars. They are two inches up and two inches back compared to the stock touring bike handlebars and offer a more ergonomic angle on the grips (hence the name ergo). I am in the process of installing a set on my street glide today.

Quick Reply: Handle bars, very mysterious to find what works