Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle bars, very mysterious to find what works

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:04 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I've had the Road King High Bars on mine for 30,000 miles. I'm 5' 10". No cable change.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone already said, have a friend help you and measure the rise, pullback, and width of the bars after closing your eyes and seeing what feels right, take those measurements to a bar makers site and see what they have or ask them to make you a set.
Whether or not you use risers and other things is up to you, but once you know where you want them to be, and you have measurements then it is easy to find bars.

question is, does, or can, anyone actually sit properly on a stock H-D, especially a touring model, and reach the handlebars comfortably?

Is this a plan by H-D to sell replacement handlebars and cables?
I have asked nearly the same question for years, who are they making these bikes for?

I am tall with a 34" inseam, I dont fit comfortably on any Harley, they all need mods for me to sit right and be comfortable, and it isnt cheap to set it up to be right.

You are saying you had to lean forward to reach the bars, lol its like they have one person, one body type or mannequin they use to fit all these bikes.

I swear if you are over 6' you dont fit, yet there are tons of aftermarket parts thats change that.

You would think when you are buying new, these things like seats, bars, boards, or pegs would all be available optionally per rider so that the buyer leaves with a bike they sit properly on without shelling out more money.
In the sticker price you have your choice of set ups so you fit.

In other words why not say, ok, we offer this bike with three different set ups to be sure most body types can drive it comfortably, so if the one you look at isnt right, they can offer you as an option, bars with more pullback, and a seat that brings you forward, or in other cases, the opposite, a seat to bring you back, boards/pegs that will be set for your leg size when sitting on the bike, and then lastly bars that land where you need them to be after you set the seat and boards/pegs
It is frustrating but thats how it is, the parts market is huge.

The first three things I have to look at on any bike I buy are feet/legs, seat, arms, and I end up changing all three it seems no matter what I buy.

This time around I am dropping a few bucks as I want something I havent had before and I think its really cool.

But still I am starting with three different kits to bring the boards forward, a seat that will go with a stretched tank and bring me back as far as I can get, and then bars that come to me, so I can sit back and use the backrest, while my legs are not bunched up, plus finding items that deliver the goods and still look cool, is where it gets expensive.
Anyway man, I feel your pain, literally.

Lump

Old 09-22-2012, 05:57 PM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I've posted this on other threads, but I wonder just how H-D determines the position of their handlebars.

I'm 6'-2" (or used to be) and I wear a 34"-35" sleeve length shirt.

However, when I sit on my 2013 CVO Ultra, I find myself leaning over the fuel tank to reach the handlebars, with my back two or more inches away from the rider backrest.

I am long torsoed, and may sit a bit higher in the saddle than most guys but my question is, does, or can, anyone actually sit properly on a stock H-D, especially a touring model, and reach the handlebars comfortably?

Is this a plan by H-D to sell replacement handlebars and cables?
I've found that on my bikes all my buddies that are 5’8" to 5' 11" fit really well. Back in the day that was the average for American Males so I'm assuming they just leave it at that so that it fits a wide group of people. Then anyone shorter or taller can buy more stuff to fit. Besides, how many people leave a bike completely stock? Most are gonna buy new bars and other junk anyway.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went to the STEALER today.... To check bars out see what they could do.
Side note - pain in scapula middle back neck, went to chiropractor twice this week, and set to go Monday - I figured that it was the dang stock bars.

Okay, meanwhile back at the HD ranch I had two parts guys assist and they checked out my reach and wrist angle and it looked like +3" back and +3" up so they went through the books, and Wild One chubbies looked to be the one though they would be a total of 3 " wider overall than the stockers. They had a set in stock and took them out to my bike, set them over my bars, I think they would be okay.

$1450.00 to get the bars and have them installed.........the TBW does not make it less $$ either. My Indy did not want to bother with doing bars, something about codes or other he could not clear on a past job that cost him $$$

So..... I will wait until Springtime.
Research more, appreciate input by all folks who posted.

I did sit on a RK that had apes on it, but not a good feel for me, it looked cool though.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Remember that changing the seat will change how the bars feel. I would suggest if you are thinking of a new seat, get it first then the bars.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Come on chaps, bars are adjustable! Every Harley I have ridden seems to have the bars set too far away for my liking. It was the same on all those I have bought new. In my case the improvement in comfort by rotating the stock bars towards me a little was wonderful.

The shape of bars is such that as they rotate towards you the ends point down more and ease the angle of your wrists. Frankly for those with problems like OP mgmmgm I would think lower bars would be better than higher. You want your shoulders and elbows to relax and your wrists to be at an easy angle. So try adjusting your stock bars first.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Come on chaps, bars are adjustable! Every Harley I have ridden seems to have the bars set too far away for my liking. It was the same on all those I have bought new. In my case the improvement in comfort by rotating the stock bars towards me a little was wonderful.

The shape of bars is such that as they rotate towards you the ends point down more and ease the angle of your wrists. Frankly for those with problems like OP mgmmgm I would think lower bars would be better than higher. You want your shoulders and elbows to relax and your wrists to be at an easy angle. So try adjusting your stock bars first.
Agree on trying to adjust first but the angle of the stock bars got worse for me as I rolled them back toward me. Klockwerks bars straightened my wrists out more and much more comfortable. The bars are now approx three inches closer to me than the stock bars were. Much more relaxed riding position.