Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007 | 03:40 AM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Torque Wrenches

Almost all of my tools are Craftsman. There are better out there but I like being able to walk into their store to swap them out if broken. Never questioned.

I have Craftman's Professional series 3/8" drive inch pound and their 1/4" drive foor pound.

Old 01-25-2007 | 03:56 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Abnmarine

Almost all of my tools are Craftsman. There are better out there but I like being able to walk into their store to swap them out if broken. Never questioned.

I have Craftman's Professional series 3/8" drive inch pound and their 1/4" drive foor pound.
Craftsman clicker torque wrenches do not have a lifetime warranty. Some are are warranted 90 days andsome 2 years.

Old 01-25-2007 | 10:21 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

ORIGINAL: Abnmarine

Craftsman clicker torque wrenches do not have a lifetime warranty. Some are are warranted 90 days and some 2 years.

I was just going to ask that question. I have an old Craftsman that has a cracked lock ring.

And it's nice to hear some good comments on the HF wrenches. I have been thinking about buying a couple there but really wasn't sure of the quality.

Old 01-25-2007 | 10:35 AM
swomack
Road Master

I've got a Snap-on ($250) for 20-120 Ft Lbs, and 2 Craftsmans ($59 & $79) for In Lbs and up to 250 Ft Lbs. The Snap-on's warranty duration is no longer than the Craftsman's and it's getting harder to catch the Snap-on guy around here when you have a problem. It took me 3 months to get a $60 hammer replaced, whereas I could have been in and out at Sears in a few minutes. Don't forget the fact that Sears has replaced their knowledgeable sales people with young idiots and they don't know when you bought it so you warranty could be much longer.

Old 01-25-2007 | 03:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Craftsman clicker torque wrenches do not have a lifetime warranty. Some are are warranted 90 days andsome 2 years.
I thought Craftsman warranted all their hand tools for life. I have plenty of them here and when they break I just take them back to Sears for a replacement. One was a ratchet that was years old, and they replaced it without a receipt, so if they'll replace a ratchet why not a torque wrench? Haven't bought any Craftsman stuff in years, though, because with Harbor Freight's prices and warranty, why pay more? Plus, it's easier to get in and out of HF, as Sears is always in a mall. I avoid malls like the plague.

Anyway, a Harbor Freight torque wrench is less than 1/2 the cost of a Craftsman and apparently still have a lifetime warranty. The 3/8" wrench I bought for $11 is listed on their site with a lifetime warranty, but although some of the others have no mention of warranty I'm sure they do too. I've replaced a few HF tools, one being an Allen wrench from a set, and they gave me a whole new new set, and let me keep what remained from the old one--so I now have spares. Another was a rubber hammer that had the rubber coating chip off because I used it too much, and they replaced it too. Can't beat that.

Old 01-25-2007 | 03:35 PM
swomack
Road Master

ORIGINAL: iclick

I thought Craftsman warranted all their hand tools for life. I have plenty of them here and when they break I just take them back to Sears for a replacement. One was a ratchet that was years old, and they replaced it without a receipt, so if they'll replace a ratchet why not a torque wrench? Haven't bought any Craftsman stuff in years, though, because with Harbor Freight's prices and warranty, why pay more? Plus, it's easier to get in and out of HF, as Sears is always in a mall. I avoid malls like the plague.

Anyway, a Harbor Freight torque wrench is less than 1/2 the cost of a Craftsman and apparently still have a lifetime warranty. The 3/8" wrench I bought for $11 is listed on their site with a lifetime warranty, but although some of the others have no mention of warranty I'm sure they do too. I've replaced a few HF tools, one being an Allen wrench from a set, and they gave me a whole new new set, and let me keep what remained from the old one--so I now have spares. Another was a rubber hammer that had the rubber coating chip off because I used it too much, and they replaced it too. Can't beat that.

Craftsman is good at deception on their tools. That's why their table saws always have more HP than the competitors.

Old 01-25-2007 | 03:57 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior

My ex wife calls me anu1, maybe that's why she's my ex... I want to know that I'm giving it the correct torque. I've used Craftsman in the past.. long past. Now I only use Snap-on click type. They ain't cheap, but they ARE right. They come with an accuracy certification. I have 3... 3/8 drive inch lb, 3/8 drive15-70? ft lb, and 1/2 drive 50-250 ft lb. The advice about taking it back down to "0" after use is a must to keep the accuracy.

Old 01-25-2007 | 04:09 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

My Snap-on clicker replaced the Beam I have had for over 35 yrs.Have 2 other inch pound beams that will never replaced Used right they are more than adequate.It's all in the feel.As mentioned always pull towards you.

Old 01-25-2007 | 04:14 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: MCSarge

Craftsman makes some good ones at a reasonable price. Snap on or Mac have some but they can get pricey. Just remember to back off the scale to 0 everytime you get done and never loosen a bolt with it and they'll last you a long time.
what sarge said..

Old 01-25-2007 | 04:26 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Craftsman has for $70 each an inch lbs and ft lbs clicker style.
Good quality for garage use.

I've got one of each. Used exactly one time. Virtually brand new. First $100 takes both.Inckudes freight to 48 states.

PM me if anyone is interested.

Primo

Quick Reply: Torque Wrenches