Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk speaker mounting??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:01 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Polk speaker mounting??

I think I blew one of my JL C2s in the fairing. Thinking of getting either Polk MM651 or Alpine SPR-60 speakers as replacements? The Polk's have that weird bar grill around the tweeter? Can they be rear mounted on my Throttle-up adapters without the grills?

Old 09-19-2012, 02:09 PM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the grill just surrounds the tweeter. The tweeter is mounted to the speaker itself

Old 09-19-2012, 02:09 PM
rg567
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I think I blew one of my JL C2s in the fairing. Thinking of getting either Polk MM651 or Alpine SPR-60 speakers as replacements? The Polk's have that weird bar grill around the tweeter? Can they be rear mounted on my Throttle-up adapters without the grills?
Not sure about the throttle-up adapters but the Polks will definitely mount up without the grills using cheapo ebay adapters, thats what I have. The tweeter doesn't stick out that far, maybe 1/4-3/8" at the most. Not sure about the Alpines, but the Polks are great sounding speakers.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:15 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the MM651's mounted on my 12 SG and they are great. Each speaker comes with a small passive cross over which helps protect the speakers. The MM651's are coaxle speakers and the grill is seperate. However, the MM651UM are seperate speakers. Meaning the tweeter is mounted directly to the grill so the grill cannot be removed and the speaker cannot be mounted inside of your fairing. I almost ordered the wrong speakers. So make sure you get the MM651's and NOT the MM651UM.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Polk MM6501 will fit also. It is a little modification to the Polk speaker grills that involves reaming out the center hole slightly to fit the tweeter cup and cutting out the speaker grill to fit the smaller cutout in the fairing.

I don't have any pictures handy of the finished install for the fairing speaker grills, but the finished product can be seen in the beginning of this video.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
The Polk MM6501 will fit also. It is a little modification to the Polk speaker grills that involves reaming out the center hole slightly to fit the tweeter cup and cutting out the speaker grill to fit the smaller cutout in the fairing.

I don't have any pictures handy of the finished install for the fairing speaker grills, but the finished product can be seen in the beginning of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSYXgksGivI
That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid! Want to keep the stock opening and grills.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:01 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by murph
I have the MM651's mounted on my 12 SG and they are great. Each speaker comes with a small passive cross over which helps protect the speakers. The MM651's are coaxle speakers and the grill is seperate. However, the MM651UM are seperate speakers. Meaning the tweeter is mounted directly to the grill so the grill cannot be removed and the speaker cannot be mounted inside of your fairing. I almost ordered the wrong speakers. So make sure you get the MM651's and NOT the MM651UM.
Thanks!! That is the info I'm looking for. How big are the crossovers?

Old 09-19-2012, 03:40 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Thanks!! That is the info I'm looking for. How big are the crossovers?
Well in that case then, yes the MM651 will fit.
Here is what you will be doing. Remove the OEM speaker. Remove the OEM speaker adapter.
Peel the OEM cloth speaker grill off the OEM adapter and glue it to the new 6.5" adapter.

Personally, I would just replace it. Find a piece of metal black mesh and cut it to fit the new adapter ring.
The OEM grill is some kind of paper/cloth and will break if you fold it. And it did not look like it will cover the new 6.5" adapter ring you have. You won't see it from the front but you will only have 4 corners of the squarish shaped OEM grill attached to the new adapter ring.

Better yet, just leave the grill off and just mount the speaker open. The Polk looks good just sitting there by it's self better than a grill would. And with the adapter ring, the actual speaker is about 3-4 inches from the front of the fairing. The odds of accidentally hitting the speaker with anything is very slim. You would have to stick your fingers purposely up there to touch it.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murph
The MM651UM, according to the website, are coax speakers, not seperate components. "UM" stands for "Ultra Marine".

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/mm651um

The only difference between the MM651 and the MM651UM is the UM models are 4-ohm, and the regular 651 is 2.7 ohm. The seperate somponent speakers are model MM6501, and MM6501UM.
http://www.polkaudio.com/products/mm6501

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/mm6501um

Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 AM
2008crossbones
Road Captain
Originally Posted by Pioneer74
The MM651UM, according to the website, are coax speakers, not seperate components. "UM" stands for "Ultra Marine".

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/mm651um

The only difference between the MM651 and the MM651UM is the UM models are 4-ohm, and the regular 651 is 2.7 ohm. The seperate somponent speakers are model MM6501, and MM6501UM.
http://www.polkaudio.com/products/mm6501

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/mm6501um
besides the ohm rating there are huge differences in the speakers..

the 651's have the tweeter mounted through the hole in the center of the woofer..

the 651um have the tweeter mounted to the grill and the grill is permanently attached to the woofer, and the woofer is sealed.. (no hole in the middle like the regular 651's...

the 6501's have totally separate tweeters and woofers..

I own all 3 styles....

Quick Reply: Polk speaker mounting??