Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103ci performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Jason12flh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103ci performance upgrades

trying to get some opinion out there. i am thinking of putting a set of cams in my 12 103. just looking for some imput on any performance mods that you guys did, and the results. i hear that a set of cam shafts, full exhaust, air cleaner, and upgraded tuner of some sort really wkes them up. any input?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 PM
hittman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking to upgrade your cams take a look at what Headquarters have to offer. They are many good choices out there so check them out. Also a fuel management system would be wise to add along with a high flow air cleaner and and an exhaust that breathes.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

IMO your biggest bang for the buck is Stage 1 with just mufflers and free flowing air cleaner. Next is the big bore cylinders and flat top pistons folowed by high compression pistons and to really wake it up you need to enhance flow through the heads with either purchased or having yours reworked. Everything I have mentioned is in the top end and does not require opening the cam chest. If you go with forged High Compression pistons, a good set of cams will enhance what you did in the top end. Also you will find you can only run so much lift with the stock springs in your stock heads so again heads before cams. I have added cams to 2 bikes and only after adding the high compression pistons. If you look for published data you will find the most agressive cams you can run with your hydraulic pistons will only gain you about 10% HP and Torque.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 PM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 2012 UC. I do two up touring and pull trailer so I was motivated to increase torque.
I went with Supertrapp 2 into 1, Power Commander V tuner, SE stage 1 air.
Then I had it Dyno'd at Fuelmoto.

I was going to get a cam but have been satisfied with the above mods so am going to not get one right now.
I had narrowed my choices down to either the SE 255 or the Andrews 48H, but these are torque cams and may not be what you need for your style of riding.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,956 Likes on 2,913 Posts

I have a 2011 Street Glide with a 103 and have not done the cams yet, but did the rest. Very happy. No numbers to give but it definitely makes it more responsive. Had a 04 Road King with the 96ci with the same mods and what a difference between 96 @ 103.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

After exhaust-A/C-tuner, Cams are the next step. If ya only want lowend the SE255s would be the choice with stock compression. Andrews has a new 57h cam for stock 103 I'd take a hard look at. I put 54h cams in my mild 103 build but did up the compression. I'm happy with them for the way I ride.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking of something myself, but I was thinking about getting my stoke head flowed and ported larger valves.....see waht that does before I put cams in it.....which the cam route would be cheaper. But in the end if I add cams the heads are already done

Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I dont think that route is going to work without bumping up the comp, replacing cams at the same time. You will get too much air flow that your engine wont handle. It all has to be balanced and done at the same time except for a cam.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were you, I would start by calling this number and asking for a guy named Jamie.

920-423-3309 Tech/Support

Tell him you are interested in cam shafts, full exhaust, air cleaner, and upgraded tuner of some sort. Ask him lots of questions and be prepared to tell him specifics about what kind of riding you do and your preferences with regards to the looks of the bike and sound. He'll do a good job for you.

Good luck.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:00 AM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by equandt
If I were you, I would start by calling this number and asking for a guy named Jamie.

920-423-3309 Tech/Support

Tell him you are interested in cam shafts, full exhaust, air cleaner, and upgraded tuner of some sort. Ask him lots of questions and be prepared to tell him specifics about what kind of riding you do and your preferences with regards to the looks of the bike and sound. He'll do a good job for you.

Good luck.
+1 def talk to jaime @ fm!

Quick Reply: 103ci performance upgrades