Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall Boy Seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Royal Tango
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tall Boy Seat

I have a 2012 Electra Glide Classic that I have taken on two long trips (So far). Even though I'm only 5' 11" and 215 lbs., I find the stock seat has me too far forward. I feel like I'm sitting on the tank.

Anyone try the Tall Boy seat and can offer an opinion ? Are there other Harley seats that would be even better ?

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They say the sundowner from HD is a good seat, but never tried one. I have a air ride cop seat on my bike. The third bike with the cop seats. They are solo, but you can get the passenger pillion from Mustang. They sit you up and back a couple of inches. They are by far the most comfy seat out there. The cops sit in the saddle all day long and I've ridden for 15 hr's for 750 miles a day from Houston to Daytona 4 times without any problems at all.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that and I have driven several police bikes with those seats, but they sit you pretty high..
Id like to find one that sits you back an inch or two or three and down a few inches so it will look more fitting with a stretched tank and flared side covers and still have a passenger option, either all in one or a pilon that will flow the lines.
Lump

Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the Tallboy seat and it is better than stock, but still not enough room. but I am 6'5", 330 lbs. The extra leg room does come at the cost of seating space for your passanger. it does get you back off the gas tank some.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:15 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lumper
I have heard that and I have driven several police bikes with those seats, but they sit you pretty high..
Id like to find one that sits you back an inch or two or three and down a few inches so it will look more fitting with a stretched tank and flared side covers and still have a passenger option, either all in one or a pilon that will flow the lines.
Lump
I take the bumpers off and lower the air pressure so the seat sit lower than it normally would. Works for me, but then I'm 6-9 and ride solo 100 % of the time.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 PM
J.L.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iam 6'2", tall boy seat is much better for me than stock seat. My pants have 30 " inseam and I can put both feet flat on the ground.Ask dealer if they have try seat that you can use for a day before buying. Sundowner seat will put you lower but not further back. (I have one)

Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
BigBen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a tall boy seat on my 08 Road Glide. The seat is great for me, but it has two design problems.

First, there is a wrinkle in the vinyl just back from the tank. The seat part number has changed since I bought my seat so this may have been fixed.

The second, and more serious problem is that the seat breaks down with a passenger aboard and touches the inner corner of the saddle bags. The result is all the paint rubbed off of the saddle bag in that location. I called Harley about and their response... Tough, no offer of any remedy of any kind. I fixed this problem by taking the seat to a local upholstery guy who cut 1/2 inch out of the seat on either side at the problem location.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Royal Tango
I have a 2012 Electra Glide Classic that I have taken on two long trips (So far). Even though I'm only 5' 11" and 215 lbs., I find the stock seat has me too far forward. I feel like I'm sitting on the tank.

Anyone try the Tall Boy seat and can offer an opinion ? Are there other Harley seats that would be even better ?

Thanks in advance...
On the new models, like yours, the TallBoy moves you back 2 inches without moving you up. The older version moved you up and back. The 2 inches it gives you comes from the passenger, as someone already said. In my case, my wife is petite so it wasn't an issue. The seat is VERY comfortable for me. I'm 6'2 and 215 and I've put about 12000 miles on the seat and am very satisfied with it. It is comparable to the Sundowner that I had on my Sportster in design.

Using the TallBoy put me back further from the bars, so I added the Heritage-style bars for the additional pullback. My riding position is very comfortable now.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 PM
jay.weber
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same problem and purchased the Tallboy for an '11 road king classic 2 weeks ago and it is perfect. I am 6'2" and puts me in a perfect position. I also have the extended floorboards (moves the boards forward about an inch). Together I fit perfect. I have not taken my wife since the new seat so we will see if she has less room, however, the Tallboy accepts the rider backrest so I dont think she will lose as much room as some might think.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:06 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jay.weber
I had the same problem and purchased the Tallboy for an '11 road king classic 2 weeks ago and it is perfect. I am 6'2" and puts me in a perfect position. I also have the extended floorboards (moves the boards forward about an inch). Together I fit perfect. I have not taken my wife since the new seat so we will see if she has less room, however, the Tallboy accepts the rider backrest so I dont think she will lose as much room as some might think.
But in order to use the rider backrest, you have to move mounting bracket as far as it will go. It takes the full 2 inches away from the passenger. When I ride with my wife, I remove my backrest and use her instead.

Quick Reply: Tall Boy Seat