Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Fork Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Fork Oil

Didnt want to hijack another thread so I figured I would start my own with a question about fork oil, in particular SE heavy wt fork oil.

I had my front end lowerd by a local indy a year or so after buying the bike. I was experiencing the fork dive before the lowering kit. My indy suggested heavier wt fork oil (dont know what he went with) and it made a huge differene and the ride was very nice. Then a couple years later (or about 6 months ago) I changed to chrome lowers and did everyghing myself. I used SE heavy wt fork oil and I was really careful in measuring out the levels but damn the front end is extremely stiff. Ever since then, I've been second guessing myself and thinking maybe I used too much oil. Recently on another thread I read that the SE Heavy WT fork oil is too stiff and some guys are now going away from it. Any other have this experience

Old 09-17-2012, 03:17 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

The amount of oil in the fork controls what is refereed to as the "air spring". If your forks are lowered and you put in the same amount as a standard fork then you have too much and the forks will be stiff.

The proper way to measure fork oil is to measure the distance down from the top of the fork with the spring out and the fork compressed. That requires taking the forks off so most folks take the shortcut way of draining and measuring the amount. I would drain a little out of each side and try it out.

I also like to Amsoil 10wt in the forks.