Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrinkle black tank console

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:44 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by murph
how does the stuff last. I did my rear fender strut covers. They were chrome. I sanded the chrome until rough. Then I sanded with a very fine grit stone on my dremel. I used etching primer and then used auto flat black. It's ok and looks great, but it scratches really easy. I don't want to do the console unless it will stand up to a little scratching.

Thx for any input. Not trying to hi-jack the thread just add to it.
Everything I have done has been powder coated. Don't want to have to mess with it a second time.

I replaced the rocker top boxes on my Street Bob with HD wrinkle black one and just sent the take offs to a dude to have them powdered wrinkle black. So well so how they turn out. If I don't like the work I'll just buy HD stuff again for the Street Glide.

I had a piece done wrinkle black for the Street Bob by a different guy and it wasn't to my liking. Gloss and satin black are pretty easy and turn out nice. The wrinkle must be a little harder to match.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by craigffb
Everything I have done has been powder coated. Don't want to have to mess with it a second time.

I replaced the rocker top boxes on my Street Bob with HD wrinkle black one and just sent the take offs to a dude to have them powdered wrinkle black. So well so how they turn out. If I don't like the work I'll just buy HD stuff again for the Street Glide.

I had a piece done wrinkle black for the Street Bob by a different guy and it wasn't to my liking. Gloss and satin black are pretty easy and turn out nice. The wrinkle must be a little harder to match.

Thanks... Can you tell me if HD makes a black console for the Street Glide. If so, I might just buy it. I've tried looking, but I have not found it as of yet.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Did this to my EG

Attached Thumbnails Wrinkle black tank console-console.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by murph
Thanks... Can you tell me if HD makes a black console for the Street Glide. If so, I might just buy it. I've tried looking, but I have not found it as of yet.
No. That's why if I do it it will be powder coated.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by craigffb
No. That's why if I do it it will be powder coated.
thanks.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:52 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will try to get a photo of my friend SG. He painted his console with H-D brand wrinkle black engine paint and it looks great.

mikebaby

Old 09-18-2012, 06:30 PM
MCMLXIX
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The console was powder coated at a local shop. Its nice , but it has more shine then the factory HD black wrinkle... When I do the primary cover, I'll either swap out with some one or buy the HD part becasue it would bother me to have the mismatched colors next to each other...

Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MCMLXIX
The console was powder coated at a local shop. Its nice , but it has more shine then the factory HD black wrinkle... When I do the primary cover, I'll either swap out with some one or buy the HD part becasue it would bother me to have the mismatched colors next to each other...

Ok...I'm diggin that. I'm gonna black out my engine as well. Got some pats already, getting some of the cheaper parts from HD. I just sent a set of rocker box cover that I swapped out for HD ones on my Dyna to have a guy do. I had a piece done on the Dyna by another dude that I wasn't real happy with, so I'm gonna see how this guy does. If it matches I'll get the the primary cover from him cause its cheaper.

I post on here when I get them back and let ya know how they turn out.

Oh and just so you know, all the OE HD covers, like the cam cover and primary cover ARE a shinier black then the motor it's self. Like that on my Street Bob from the factory.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Rev Heat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use PlastiDip spray in flat black. Easy to remove if you want to.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rev Heat
Use PlastiDip spray in flat black. Easy to remove if you want to.
It's gotta be wrinkle black if I'm gonna do it.