Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time for Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up 1st time for Seafoam

Well,
Found this SeaFoam (SF) at O'Reily auto parts for $6.99 a can. Bought two cans,and threw 3/4 pint in my RK went and filled up non corn premium.

Had some ping and after reading about SF on the forum of late, thought I'd give it a shot to see if it would help maybe stop some ping, and clean injectors, and stuff.

After running 50 miles and running it sorta hard, had it to 90 just blasting through the gears from a stop on some nice back roads with zero traffic to blow the gunk out.

I think the SF helps, bike seems more responsive, and not as much ping. It's only low 80 temps today, but pulling away from a stop, the bike seemed to have a wee bit more umph. Idle sounds better, smoother.

I will be using this more often, in the fuel. Too bad that I waited so long to try this stuff.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,781 Likes on 3,156 Posts

I just tried it for the first time, I can't really tell if it made a difference, but I'll finish the can with another treatment and decide then.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

I like using it in my oil for a few miles before changing.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seafoam is awesome I swear by it...works awesome as a stabilizer as well. I brought back a Ninja 250 that I neglected...thought for sure I was gonna have to tear the carbs apart....a bottle of Seafoam avoided all that nonsense

Old 09-15-2012, 07:24 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cmashark
I like using it in my oil for a few miles before changing.
I do not know about using it in oil before changing it. A standard oil change leave 28-32 oz of dirty ol in the sump, so if you Seafoamed the oil, the potential could be that some of the sump oil would be mixed with the SeaFoam, all mixing with the fresh oil you would put in during a regular oil change?

Old 09-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Dirtball
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Seafoam not only in the bike but the mower and travel trailer generator. Pinging is less in the bike and the others start first pull even after sitting for months. Used on previous carb bikes when they sat for the winter, never had to pull carbs off and they fired when it was time to ride in the spring.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:01 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
I do not know about using it in oil before changing it. A standard oil change leave 28-32 oz of dirty ol in the sump, so if you Seafoamed the oil, the potential could be that some of the sump oil would be mixed with the SeaFoam, all mixing with the fresh oil you would put in during a regular oil change?
It could. I use about .5 of a quart of the seafoam. A few ounces won't hurt anything. I look at it as a little detergent in my oil.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

I bought some recently to use as a stabilizer this winter. Never used it before, but I hear a lot of good about it. Glad to hear you like it.
I'm only going to use it in the fuel, my oil still looks OK at change time.
I used to use fuel treatments from time to time, but with better additives in todays fuel, along with better fuel filters, I'm not sure about needing it very often. Oil and oil filters are much better today too.
Not to mention EFI doesn't flood the system the way older carbs did, IMHO.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:23 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Does this stuff really work. Or is it just a bunch of hype. I'm just asking.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 176 Posts

2 years ago after 46 years of driving I had my 1st experience with water in gas and it happened to be on a motorcycle. I was able to limp home but once bike was shut down it would no longer start. Drained gas and put some fresh gas and Seafoam and it started right up. Lots of white smoke but within a few minutes it was back to running fine. Just had the same thing happen on Sep 4th but could not make it home. Stopped at a friend's house and got the gas out. Fresh gas and Seafoam and back on the road in no time.

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 09-16-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 1st time for Seafoam