Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time for Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I use it in everything I own that has an engine, even my race car, i put it in for winter storage and it fires right up every spring. I good stuff

Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under impression it was wineter storage only

Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy B

Far from it. Use it every tank of fuel in my boat...mostly becaus it sits alot...and a few times a year in the HD...also use it in the diesel truck and tractor a few times a year to clean the injectors....diesel and gas uses the same Sea Foam

Old 09-16-2012, 11:25 AM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,352 Likes on 8,409 Posts

I put 6oz. in a full tank of gas in my 2010 FLHTCU about 6 months ago and I was very impressed with the results. Motor ran smoother and pulled great. The only thing I'm not sure of is how often you should use it in a Harley V-twin.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
I put 6oz. in a full tank of gas in my 2010 FLHTCU about 6 months ago and I was very impressed with the results. Motor ran smoother and pulled great. The only thing I'm not sure of is how often you should use it in a Harley V-twin.
I can't believe that it would hurt a thing to run it in every tank, I only run it about 5 times a season though.
It is on sale at o'reilly auto parts for $6.99 a can so I normally buy about 4, although it is cheaper to buy it by the gallon.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:43 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try some Chevron injection cleaner works well or better than that Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus or just buy Chevron gas it's already in there. Use as directed for additives. Seafoam does clean your top end some what but is mainly to preserve fuel for a period of time like Stabil.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Netstarrider
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used SeaFoam for almost 8 years. First was a Kawi 440, which was neglected with 50k miles, carbs that were so bad, it did not have a stable idle. After taking it down to a gallon of gas,and a bottle of seafoam....took on a 25 mile ride....presto, no more idle problems. I use it on every gas powered vehicle I have, carbs and fuel injection. Works great to clean varnish buildup and other deposits from fuel. Also have used to clean up oil systems that have neglected. Two thumbs up.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:07 PM
hotwheels57
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
Well,
Found this SeaFoam (SF) at O'Reily auto parts for $6.99 a can. Bought two cans,and threw 3/4 pint in my RK went and filled up non corn premium.

Had some ping and after reading about SF on the forum of late, thought I'd give it a shot to see if it would help maybe stop some ping, and clean injectors, and stuff.

After running 50 miles and running it sorta hard, had it to 90 just blasting through the gears from a stop on some nice back roads with zero traffic to blow the gunk out.

I think the SF helps, bike seems more responsive, and not as much ping. It's only low 80 temps today, but pulling away from a stop, the bike seemed to have a wee bit more umph. Idle sounds better, smoother.

I will be using this more often, in the fuel. Too bad that I waited so long to try this stuff.
I use it and I'm a believer. Seems to make mine run better

Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a believer. I bought a used Sporty with carbs that ran rough. Threw in some SeaFoam for a few tanks and it ran great. I use it when storing the bike in the winter. I also put it in the gas can for the lawnmower.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:15 PM
str8shooter
Stage IV

Originally Posted by murph
Does this stuff really work. Or is it just a bunch of hype. I'm just asking.
Another new disciple here. This is a long winded response, but rather than just say, Yes! I love the stuff! I'm going to relate the whole story of why I'm now a believer in case others stumble upon this thread while searching.

I was having some major problems when my '07 FXSTC began bucking like it was fuel starved when applying throttle, regardless of speed, gear or RPMs. I first noticed it when I was low on fuel, really low, so I attributed it to water in the tank and dumped in some STP injector cleaner/water remover with my next tank full and hoped that would be the end of it.

That didn't help at all, so I searched this forum and found about dozen other things to check, battery, charging system, intake leaks, CPS, plugs, codes, etc. but all came up negative for problems. As I burned through that tank of gas the problem worsened and I watched my mpg plummet in the process, so with about a 1/2 a gallon left in the tank I drained the rest, trailered it to a nearby Sunoco (the only station around me that sells 91) filled the tank and tried the STP stuff again. Still no improvement so I took it to my HD stealer who gladly took my $100 to tell me they couldn't find the problem either, but just to make me feel like I was getting something for my money they downloaded the stock MAP (I haven't made any mods other than cosmetic) which they said HD released an update to, so it might help. I didn't get a mile down the road when the bucking started again. And for the first time, back fired during a minor decel coming into a corner.

I'm was getting kind of anxious because I was on my way to spend a weekend in Deal's Gap for a "Tail of the Dragon" run that I had organized with some friends, and now wasn't sure my bike was up to the task. I came back to this and several other forums searching for "gas starved" reading the threads that got a hit and Sea Foam was mentioned in every one as the product that seemed to work when all else failed.

So the night before my trip I emptied my tank (again) and bought a pint of Sea Foam. I was trailering my bike down, so I left the tank empty hoping to find some ethanol free gas somewhere along the 700 mile drive to the Smokies, but my go-to internet site for finding corn free gas stations showed I'd have to go pretty far off route and since I was pressed for time. I ended up filling the bike with 93 at a BP station with "up to" 10% corn squeezin's, so I added half a pint of Sea Foam per the instructions (16 oz / 8-25 gallons) and hoped for the best when we went to slay the dragon.

For the first few miles heading toward the Tail, I could feel a noticeable improvement and I was getting optimistic, but just before entering the Tail from the NC side, it began to get worse, and needless to say the ride wasn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped. Fighting dragons with a dull sword is not fun at all.

We rode the Tail and around TN for a while before heading back to camp via the Cherohala Skyway. I filled up gain and added the other half a pint of Sea Foam. And from that moment on I didn't have a single problem. That was two weeks ago, and since then I've put about 500 miles on the bike and I'm back up to about 50 mpg after getting about 40 when the problem started.

Epilogue: I can say with 99.9% certainty that Sea Foam was the cure for whatever the problem was, whether it was bad gas, fouled injectors, water or whatever, it worked when the STP injector cleaner didn't. Since then I've put it in my Jeep Wrangler and '98 Subaru 2.5i too and have been getting better mpg and noticeably better acceleration with no loss of power when climbing steep upgrades at highway speeds. Now I keep a few bottles in my garage and pour some in all my vehicles every 4 or 5 fill-ups.

Originally Posted by Texas_Joe
It's all hype and in their heads! That stuff is another slik 50 gimmick!! Take care of your bike and you won't need any of those additives. Biggest money scam in a parts store!
I respectfully disagree. As I mentioned above, when all else failed, Sea Foam worked. Now admittedly I don't treat my bike any different than I do my cars. I follow the maintenance schedule, but I'm forced to use ethanol laced gasoline and during the spring and fall with hot days and cold nights condensation is an unavoidable consequence so it's entirely possible you take much better care of your ride and additives such as Sea Foam would be a waste of money.

Originally Posted by Timmy B
Sta-Bil is the additive I use for my RV and bike for winter storage. Supposedly keeps the ethanol from absorbing water causing corrosion inside your tank and fuel line. No miracle cure stories like I had with Sea Foam, but my RV sits outside under cover during the winter and a $10 bottle of Sta-Bil is a hell of a lot cheaper than the cost of repairing the damage a rusty tank can do.

ETA: You don't have to go a parts store to get Sea Foam. Target and Walmart sell it too, so you can pick up a few cans while shopping for clothes, toilet paper and/or ammo.

Quick Reply: 1st time for Seafoam