Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARDSPARTSWERKS: Jason is a class act!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WARDSPARTSWERKS: Jason is a class act!

Thought about putting this in the cooling fan thread, but decided it deserved its own space.

Got a tour of the one-man fabrication facility, a quick demo of how everything goes together, chatted about the upgraded isolator & mini-beast horn (I want one of the isolators when they come in so I can add the mini-beast!), and got to see the new chromed version of the FCS: For those that ordered chrome--you're going to LOVE them!! They look sweet!

Forgot to take pictures though. I'll chalk it up to "didn't want to provide any spy shots of Jason's lab." Yeah, that's it. That's my new story and I'm sticking to it!

Anyway, a few days ago I had a minor issue with one of the fans in my FCS: I don't know if it was from my penchant for riding in the rain and soaking it so many times (had to empty water from my horn at least twice since installing the FCS), or if it was just electronics being electronics.

Anyway, dropped Jason a PM about it on Wednesday, hoping there was a quick fix I could try without having to send them back; Jason quickly replied; unfortunately he said I'd have to return them, said he'd pick up the shipping costs, and gave an address down in NC. Now I'm up in VA, and it just so happened that my wife (active duty Navy) was getting underway on Friday; I checked the weather, looked like it was going to be a nice weekend, so I asked if I could just ride down--didn't know if he wanted people to see his shop (garage), but figured what the heck.

To my surprise, he said "come on down!"

Rode down there this morning; beautiful day for a ride. Started off cool enough to warrant the jacket, but by 9:00 am the jacket was stuffed in the saddlebag since it was getting warm. Got to Jason's place right after noon and after a brief introduction, he jumped right on it. I was worried about having to pull the seat & tank, but Jason had the fans off in a matter of seconds (I'd forgotten that they have spade connectors just upstream of the fans!). He ran a couple tests on the FCS: Sure enough, one of the fans had quit. He replaced both fans in the FCS with the newer, upgraded fans (now I know what everyone meant when they said "sounds like a turbo spooling up"), threw in a thermal switch, and had them back on my bike a few minutes later. I think the soldering iron heating up was the longest step in the whole process!

I've never had that great of service anywhere!

THANKS Jason!!

I took a rather circuitous route back to VA and I left the fans on for nearly the entire ride, only turning them off when I rode through a couple small rain showers (I did mention my penchant for rain, right?). Oil temps gradually rose from 110° to ~220° over the course of the first hundred miles: 218° on the dipstick thermometer when I stopped for food & gas. The next 90 miles, I actually had the oil temps get up to 235° when I shut the fans off going through the rain; they dropped ~10° soon after turning the fans back on, and when I stopped again (too much coca-cola), the temps were right at 220°. Left the fans on the entire time I was stopped, and the oil temps were down to 120° by the time I started the bike up again.

The rest of the ride, the oil temp gauge in the fairing never got over ~220° and the dipstick temp at the end of the ride (bike in garage) confirmed the 220° temperature. This is all without an oil cooler, ambient temps for the ride back to VA only varied by 6°, with a high of 83° and a low of 77°.

I'm definitely a believer! Great product; awesome customer service, and Jason's just an all-around stand-up guy! Couldn't ask for better!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have to agree with you. Had a problem with the FCS and he express mailed another set so I wouldn't miss a planned trip. Fantastic customer service.

Are you saying not to turn the fans on when riding in the rain. We're heading out to OCC tomorrow and will be leaving in the rain. Course, it's always cooler on the motor and oil in the rain - just wondering.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I turn them off in the rain. Apparently the mfr says they're water resistant, but if I've got road grime being splashed in there from the front, I see no reason to force it in from the side: It's hard enough to clean the bike!

Old 09-15-2012, 01:29 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I owe you Mike, after the rebuild I cleand the back of the fan motors with alcohol but I forgot to put the thermal insulation discs on, PM me your address again and I'll send 'em out to you.