Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Headsets???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 PM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bluetooth Headsets???

Well, I have done the searches and read all of the comments, but now I think I am more confused than ever! Scala, Sena, J&M,,,,,,,,heck I don't know. All I want is something that the wife and I can use on our FF helmets to talk back and forth, I prefer to use the VOX instead of having to punch a button. And something that we can listen to our tunes through the IPhone with some good volume and sound. I use the Garmin app in my IPhone for GPS so I am assuming that those voice instructions would come through as well.

Help me out! I don't know which way to go!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 PM
SlimJeff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the sena SHM5 the smaller of their units and am very happy. Crystal clear and volume is fine even on expressway. Unless you are looking for longer range (each rider on different bikes) this is a great unit. You can even Bluetooth one to each phone so you both can listen to different music if you like
I also love the simplicity of the large wheel button

Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the older scala rider and i am happy with them

Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 PM
jaymiller5
Cruiser

The scala Q2 PRO is what I have, I love them. Wife and I can communicate great with them, I can listen to pandora radio or FM on them without issue and can even take phone calls on it if needed. I have a XM snap radio that I can tune to FM as well and pick up the XM radio on the Q2 as well.

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-q2

Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 PM
OneOhFifthRKC
Advanced
Default Bluetooth Headsets???

My wife and I have the first edition Sena SMH10's and we LOVE them.

But we don't use VOX. We just open the channel and leave it open the whole ride. The iPhones will still interrupt if one of us gets a call.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Dirtball
Tourer

I have to be the one to say it,,, why are you answering a phone while riding a motorcycle? I perfer to put my phone in the tour pack and check it when I stop. I ride to get away and unwind. But to each their own. Just my thought.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:38 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,846 Posts

I have a friend who uses his bluetooth to listen to tunes off of his iPhone while riding his Switchback.

Honestly, I use my CB more than I listen to music.

I'm anticipating that they will soon offer HID on the inside of our faceshields or a key pad on the handlebars so we can text as we cruise!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Having just completed a couple of weeks touring where I use a scala G4 and the other bike (they were riding with pillion) used a Q2 Scala I concluded that I was glad I spent the extra on the G4.

My brother, who was on the other bike, is now going to get shot of his Q2 and upgrade to G4.

The sound quality of the G4 is considerably better for music - that is for sure.

The buttons to control the devices are considerably easier to access and operate with gloves on with the G4 - that is for sure

Setting up and pairing with the G4 is considerably easier - that is for sure

In the first week I rode with someone that also had a G4 and the range between the 2 bikes is MUCH improved.

You don't appear to have a requirement to communicate between bikes, but if that is an option you believe will be required in future then G4 is a minimum.

I can't offer any input on comparison with other makes, but Scala is a very reputable product and also very common so interacting with other bikers is more likely.

Finally, I used the G4 every day for the 2 weeks, generally on for 6 or 7 hours, listening to music from my iPhone over Bluetooth. I charged every night but NEVER ran out of battery during the day

Old 09-14-2012, 04:35 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Not sure what you ride, but for me the wired headsets that plug into your ultra work the best. music, rider to passenger comm, navigation and cb all work great. For me I have no need to make or take a phone call while I am riding. But there is a guy in Delaware who makes a device to tie into your bike that will enable you to use your phone through the plug in headset while using Bluetooth through your GPS. Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 AM
karbar99
Club Member

Originally Posted by stan60
Well, I have done the searches and read all of the comments, but now I think I am more confused than ever! Scala, Sena, J&M,,,,,,,,heck I don't know. All I want is something that the wife and I can use on our FF helmets to talk back and forth, I prefer to use the VOX instead of having to punch a button. And something that we can listen to our tunes through the IPhone with some good volume and sound. I use the Garmin app in my IPhone for GPS so I am assuming that those voice instructions would come through as well.

Help me out! I don't know which way to go!
Originally Posted by Dirtball
I have to be the one to say it,,, why are you answering a phone while riding a motorcycle? I perfer to put my phone in the tour pack and check it when I stop. I ride to get away and unwind. But to each their own. Just my thought.
I believe if you go back and reread the OP's post you'll see that he did not mention "answering a phone".

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Headsets???