Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:57 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Brake light problem

I haven't really gotten to ride the bike much since having it dyno tuned after Christmas so I thought I would ride it home from the shop today and to work in the morning. When I turned the shop lights off the rear lights were bright and I was thinking damn they are bright. It didn't dawn on me until I started down the road that maybe the brake lights were stuck on so I checked and sure enough they are. I thought maybe the run/brake/turn controller may have gone bad so I pulled the seat and unplugged it and plugged the connecter back the way it was stock and still the brakes lights are on. Has anybody else experianced this problem before? If so what was the soloution besides taking it to the stealer who I am sure will sayI did something to void the warrenty on the part somehow..LOL The bike is a 06 FLHXi with a little over 5k on it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:01 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brake light problem

Generally speakin', thar's jest two thangs that'll do it - the front brake an' rear brake. Check ta make sure that both are returnin' fully to their "full release position". Then check fer adjustment on 'em - usually, you'll find it's the microswitch on the rear brake that needs adjustment - just trace the circuit ta find the switch, then look for the adjustment.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:41 PM
DaveUC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wifes bike did that it was the front brake micro switch was not getting pushed enough by the brake lever.Ihad put new chrome levers on so i thought that was it.
Now my question is there something to adjust?
I put a piece of 3m stick tape on the brake lever tabto help push micro switch it works fine now.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Beavis
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear brake light switch/relay went bad on my 2001 ultra which caused the rear brake lights to stay on. About a $20 part, easy fix.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sometimes the front brake lever switch is faulty, and another possibility is drag on the front lever by leather covering and long latigo or braiding....yes, I know, no way, but I swear to Goodness it can be a cause.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: DaveUC

my wifes bike did that it was the front brake micro switch was not getting pushed enough by the brake lever.Ihad put new chrome levers on so i thought that was it.
Now my question is there something to adjust?
I put a piece of 3m stick tape on the brake lever tabto help push micro switch it works fine now.
I fixed mine last week, checked the rear swith first and it was good so I took apart the switch housing and found the front brake switch. The lever wasn't hitting the button. I figured since I just put chrome switch buttons on I must have bent something in there so I took a small screw driver and pried it against the back of it and bada bing it works again. Easy fix once I found the problem. Thanks for all the input guys.