Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Street Glide - 96 ci to a 103 or 107 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012 | 09:49 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DABB
What does this FM 107 cost?
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/107kit.htm

Old 09-12-2012 | 10:23 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

I added the 107 kit, after 500 mile break in I had it dynoed and went on a 7500 road trip through south Texas and then north Montana. The temps were from 104 degrees to 44 degrees, the bike was hot in stop and go traffic in Sturgis. It ran like a top. I am currently adding a beefer oil pump to help with the heat. You could do this too since the engine will be taken apart.
I woe do the 107 kit again.

Old 09-13-2012 | 01:04 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd appreciate a 107 Fuelmoto build

Old 09-13-2012 | 06:26 AM
DABB
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Seems affordable enough and close to me for an install. Anyone do this with out running their exhaust? I am quite pleased with my current mufflers.

Old 09-13-2012 | 06:47 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the S&S 106 kit installed and reliability is a non issue thus far. I've put 20000 kms on it since may and it runs as good now(better) then when it rolled off of Harleys assembly line.
I suggest going as big as you can. 107 is max without getting the cases bored out.
Parts cost will be similar between the 103/106/107 kits and labour will be the same so go big.
My bike has 107hp/115tq. I could never go back to a stock bike.

Old 09-13-2012 | 07:58 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DABB
Seems affordable enough and close to me for an install. Anyone do this with out running their exhaust? I am quite pleased with my current mufflers.
You dont have to run their exhaust, you might lose a few ponies if not running a 2-1, but my guess is you'd be thrilled with it.

If I lived only 1 hour away from Fuel Moto I'd be all over it their work is universally praised.

Old 09-13-2012 | 08:04 AM
Hammy
Tourer

I say go with the S&S106 the 107 kits have been known to have issues with the nikasil coating. No coating on the 106 or 103 kits. All kinds of threads on this but most will tell you they are good now, either way it's your choice. I have 9k on my 106 so far ina year and a half I also have another bike so I ride quite a bit.

Old 09-13-2012 | 08:08 AM
Hammy
Tourer

My 106 makes 124ft lbs and 108hp,
softail with just cams, air cleaner and exhaust makes 96ft lbs and 84hp.

Old 09-13-2012 | 11:57 AM
hdmg
Cruiser

I would like to know from those who have installed big bore kits that have failed, what actually failed? I would suspect crankshaft failures or INA bearings would be a big one.

I'd be interested in seeing if there is any common denominator.

Replies to threads like this is such an apples to oranges comparison based on what components were installed, their compatibility, the integrity of the mechanic doing the work, how the bike is ridden etc etc.

I plan on doing a big bore upgrade to my 09 streetglide as well, but will hold off until I can afford to upgrade all the components, from a welded crankshaft, oil pump, cam support plate & bearings, gear drive cams, roller valve train with appropriate springs for the cam selected, clutch etc.

IMO if all parts are coordinated and properly chosen for the additional torque and demands placed on them, I would see no reason for reliability issues unless you drive the living daylights out of it constantly. Building a motor that has a 30 -40% increase in power & torque without addressing all the affected components is a recipe for early dissappointment. Doing it on the cheap will not give you 50K plus miles of reliability.

My thoughts anyway.

Old 09-13-2012 | 12:49 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdmg
I would like to know from those who have installed big bore kits that have failed, what actually failed? I would suspect crankshaft failures or INA bearings would be a big one.

I'd be interested in seeing if there is any common denominator.

Replies to threads like this is such an apples to oranges comparison based on what components were installed, their compatibility, the integrity of the mechanic doing the work, how the bike is ridden etc etc.

I plan on doing a big bore upgrade to my 09 streetglide as well, but will hold off until I can afford to upgrade all the components, from a welded crankshaft, oil pump, cam support plate & bearings, gear drive cams, roller valve train with appropriate springs for the cam selected, clutch etc.

IMO if all parts are coordinated and properly chosen for the additional torque and demands placed on them, I would see no reason for reliability issues unless you drive the living daylights out of it constantly. Building a motor that has a 30 -40% increase in power & torque without addressing all the affected components is a recipe for early dissappointment. Doing it on the cheap will not give you 50K plus miles of reliability.

My thoughts anyway.
You should talk to Jamie, I think he believes - and ya gotta respect his opinion - that crank work is not necessary for these if your runout checks out ok. Heck, I'm sure the HD 110 engines have the exact same crank/bottom end (probably bigger cases tho) as the 103s.

My guess is if you do full crank work you'll add 2K+ to the cost. I personally think that may be worth it for piece of mind, I'd be curious to know what % actually do that.

Quick Reply: 2009 Street Glide - 96 ci to a 103 or 107 questions.