Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 flash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My bike is stock, including the intake and exhaust, except for the Monster Rounds slip-on mufflers I have. Been thinking about doing either the xieds or the factory flash, in hopes of cooling it down some. I know the flash will take a modified bike and return it to the factory lean settings the bike comes with. On my bike, with only the slip-ons, do you think it will richen it up enough to cool it down a bit? I don't really have $500-$1,000 to spend on it. $100-$200 would be perfect if it will do what I want.

What do you all think?

Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
My bike is stock, including the intake and exhaust, except for the Monster Rounds slip-on mufflers I have. Been thinking about doing either the xieds or the factory flash, in hopes of cooling it down some. I know the flash will take a modified bike and return it to the factory lean settings the bike comes with. On my bike, with only the slip-ons, do you think it will richen it up enough to cool it down a bit? I don't really have $500-$1,000 to spend on it. $100-$200 would be perfect if it will do what I want.

What do you all think?
The download will not richen it enough to cool the bike at all. Only returns the AFR to stock mixture. The download will raise the rev limiter........which I have never hit.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

What do you all think?

Also wanted to say that it doesn't cost 500 bucks to do this. A dyno run isn't necessary but some guys love to to see it on paper. Yes, a dyno can work out small curves but I bet you would never notice them. Now the guys who spend money on dynos with stock (but stage 1) wont admit to this. I think dynos are more needed for the folks who go stage 2 and up. For a little over 100 you can choose the xieds, dealer download or a used tuner of somekind. I picked up the fuelpak on Craigslist for 100. Sure a PCV would have better but I don't plan engine upgrades. Only send more fuel than the stock mixture.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,852 Likes on 19,334 Posts

Not all Stage One Downloads will reset the Rev Limiter to 6200 ... There is a lot of print on this issue ... However, even if all Stage One Downloads did increase the Rev Limiter, the engine runs out of power long before 6200 rpms ... Having said this, and having had the Stage One Download done, if I had it to do over again ( and I did ) I would definitely go with a tuner ... preferably a Power Commander .... Didn't mean to murk the waters !!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlpro
Is a stage 1 flash at the Harley Stealership good enough or should I go the tuner route? I have stock header pipes with Vance and Hines Twin Slash Ovals slip-ons and Screaming Eagle Stage 1 Air Kit on my 2008 Electra Glide Ultra Classic.

Thanks
Did you buy it at the dealership and what kind of warranty are we talking about? It's my understanding that some dealerships are funny about non-SERT tuners, so you may need to take off the tuner if you bring the bike in for repair. My dealership is very cool about having one on, but it may not hurt to feel them out at your service desk if you're looking to use warranty service down the road.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:42 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bellgnte
The download will not richen it enough to cool the bike at all. Only returns the AFR to stock mixture. The download will raise the rev limiter........which I have never hit.

But with only slip-ons added to my bike, no air cleaner, wouldn't the download still be better than nothing? Dealer wants $185 for the download. If it would get me even close to what the xieds would do, then I wouldn't have to worry about taking something off everytime I take it into the dealer. Still have 4 years of warranty left.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

But with only slip-ons added to my bike, no air cleaner, wouldn't the download still be better than nothing? Dealer wants $185 for the download. If it would get me even close to what the xieds would do, then I wouldn't have to worry about taking something off everytime I take it into the dealer. Still have 4 years of warranty left.

Since the ECM won't detect more air coming in, I don't believe it would send a rich signal. It is a little smarter than we give it credit. The xieds are cheaper if enriching the AFR is your main concern. If getting rid of heat is your priority, then I would think getting rid of the CAT in the header and more fuel is what you need to look into. Probably more so the CAT than anything. The vendor download works perfect also as far as what it is intended to do. I haven't heard of issues because someone got the download. I have seen multiple threads about fuel management causing little issues (starting). Take everything for what it's worth.....you know. Those PCVs/AT and TTSs are sweet though if one has the coin. No matter what you decide to add, I don't think you would have to remove it every time for checkups. Just only if there is a warranty problem you want to complain about

Old 09-13-2012, 12:56 AM
luderacer2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got mine with a stage1 tune, slapped a pc3 on it and noticed a big diff

Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Dan, if you are just adding slip ons, dont do either. Talk to your dealer about and ECM option that they are comfortable with that they say will not affect your warranty.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Forget xieds or a fuel pak or dealer download. All a waste of money.
Xieds don't even work on the newer bikes. Sure they richen the fuel at first but with the o2 sensors still on the ecu compensates and leans out the mix to get it back to it's programmed parameters.
A pcv at the very least. You bought an expensive bike,how about buying the cheapest pos enricher you can find.
Because that makes sense right.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 flash?