Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pioneer AVH-P6300BT Head Unit Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:42 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pioneer AVH-P6300BT Head Unit Review

Ok so after riding with this head unit for a few days, I think I have enough information for a review.

I bought this unit for a couple reason and very specific reasons. When I shopped for a head unit I had 3 main things I was looking for.
1st and foremost, it needed to be a good quality unit with excellent sound processing and must have high voltage amp pre-outs. This unit had the quality and has 3 sets of 4v pre outs front/rear/sub.

2nd, I was looking for a unit that would allow me to get rid of my MP3 player and let me control my music VIA usb and SD card. And it must have a good quality touch screen that will allow me to easily see and use the unit while riding. And it needs to have the ability to connect to the handlebar controls so that surfing MP3 folders and files could all be done with the handlebar controls.

3rd, It must have Bluetooth so I can stream music from my android if I want to.

Well, this unit had all of these things, kinda! It falls short in a few areas that directly affect how I want to use this unit.

This unit has both USB and an SD card slot so that you can store all your music and access them thru the head unit.
Well, I have about 16 gigabytes of music. I loaded it all on a USB stick and loaded the same music on a SD card.
Here is where the unit falls short. When you turn on the head unit (start the bike) it takes about 2 minutes for it to read the USB or the SD card before you can use it. This is a pain in the **** because every time you stop, you must wait 2 or 3 minutes before you can use the head unit.

Then once you have your MP3
s loaded and ready to play? If you switch over to listen to the radio or any other function and then switch back to the USB? You must wait another 2-3 minutes for it to read the card again! Even though the unit was not powered off, it must read it all over again. This SUCKS!!

Once the unit does read the USB or SD card and you are ready to play some music. The user interface is not very friendly. You have to go thru 3 or 4 pages to search for anything. This would not be a problem since you have handlebar controls right? Well, the handle bar controls ( or steering wheel controls) are not able to search or skip on to the next song.
I am not sure if this is due to to the compatibility of the handlebar adapter or if that function just doesn't exist.

While this unit does have Bluetooth, it does not support media streaming like most other units. The Bluetooth is for hands free operation of cell phones and that is all. Useless to me on a motorcycle.

So basically, I have a cool looking 7" LCD flip out screen that doesn't do anything I need it to do.
The quality of sound is awesome and it is a good quality unit.

Don't get me wrong, this is a quality unit and it is one of only 3 or 4 current models that offer a single DIN flip out screen and it is the only current model avaliable with 4v or higher pre-outs.
You can still find other models out there that are discontinued that offer these things but the Pioneer is the only one that is "current" that does.

But if you are looking for a "all in one" solution to playing MP3's, ect? This is not it!

I am back to mounting my Zune HD on the handlebars and using that to control my music while riding.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:23 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mount the IPOD !!! Music & videos at your thumb !! Stop fighting it !! You know you wanna try the IPOD !!!

Old 09-09-2012, 05:24 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What source are you using for music videos ??

Old 09-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed a Sony DSX-S100 in my aftermarket fairing on my Road King. I have all my music on an 8 gig stick. Load time from switch on is about 15 seconds.

The DSX-S100 is not blue tooth ready. But, I believe the DSX-S200 and 300 are.

One off my issues is the Road King does not have the handle bar controls. they can be added and the purchase of an inter phase could make all this work. I found that putting the wireless remote where a use to put my Ipod was except upside down gave me the ability to control the head unit I needed.

So far it has worked very well. I would like to add the handle bar controls one day and these stereo will work with the controls with the purchase of an inter phase.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

While I'm waiting for my Dragonfly fairing to be delivered, I've been thinking about what I wanted to do for music. I already have an Alpine stereo sitting around unused as well as the KTP-445 amp that is plug and play that I will use to power the speakers. I'm thinking about finding a used ipod touch and mounting it in the fairing. When I'm at my house, I can sync and change up the music via wifi while the bike is sitting in my driveway. Would never have to take it out and wouldn't have to forget about unmounting it when I walk away from my bike. Either that or just use the bluetooth from my iphone.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:54 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Mount the IPOD !!! Music & videos at your thumb !! Stop fighting it !! You know you wanna try the IPOD !!!
I will never own anything that begins with "i" , ever! They can kiss my *** with their manipulative controlling products.

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
What source are you using for music videos ??
I have a Zune HD 32 gig. And I don't need itunes to use, copy, listen to or organize.
It is a shame that most head units cater mainly to ipod. Android has the market share now and soon iphone and ipod will be a thing of the past. People want choices and freedom to do what they want with products they buy. Apple is hell bent on telling it customers what they can and can't do and made sure that everything from the software you need to even use the product and the chargers you need to charge it are proprietary to apple and that is they only choice you have.

I choose freedom and will stick with my non apple products even if it means not have compatible products such as this head unit.
Android friendly head units are starting to pop up on shelves now but unfortunately, the limited number of flip out head units don't offer this yet and still have the other features such as high voltage pre outs at the same time.

It is what it is and I will make due. I mounted my Zune back on the bars and all is well again but my idea of ditching the Zune and having an all in one head unit is not.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 PM
09FLHT
Banned

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
I will never own anything that begins with "i" , ever! They can kiss my *** with their manipulative controlling productsMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN NNNNNNN.