Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 into 1 headers WITHOUT mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 AM
Road-King-Bob
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 into 1 headers WITHOUT mufflers?

I have an '04 FLHRI that I love the sound of with just the stock headers and SE mufflers. Unfortunately the other day I noticed my Y-pipe on the rear exhaust header was cracked. So I figure its high time for some new pipes.

I was told to stay away from true dual headers by a rep at the dealership, even though I love the look of the V&H true duals in black. He says to stick with 2 in 1's becuase the duals would kill my power. I've read into his claim and it seems thats a on-going argument in the community and depends on many variables.

My biggest issue is I want to keep the dual exhaust look (bought some really nice extended bags that wrap around the pipes and not ready to part with them). So I was looking for some 2 into 1 headers, so that I could keep my mufflers which I really like. Having trouble finding anyone that sells the headers (2into1) without mufflers, so that I can keep the ones I have, and run a falsee pipe on the left side to maintain the dual look.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:49 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

There is no arguement about which puts out more power. There is an arguement as to how much low end torque you lose with 2 into 2's.

I've run them both and the 2 into 1's are definitely my preference. But I enjoyed the 2 into 2's with mufflers very much too. You don't lose that much torque for daily riding IMO. Dealership is just spouting the current trends.

( Don't ride the bike with the cracked Y pipe. I did and hung an exhaust valve way back when... )

Old 09-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer

I am quite sure that the V&H 2-1 wont work with standard mufflers.

I would look into the D&D fat cat if you have the $$$ to spend on it. They offer a ghost pipe that gives the full dual look and the 2-1 power.

Otherwise, go with 2-1-2 x-pipe style headers (like jackpot by fuel moto) and keep your mufflers. You'll gain a bit of power, but it's doubted you can do better than the 2-1.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:08 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,365 Likes on 2,540 Posts

unless you're racing and trying to squeeze every last bit of hp out of your bike, go with what you like. if its true duals, do it.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Why don't you just have the Y pipe welded up and keep what you have. Mine cracked and the weld has held up just fine. Not a better sound then the ols SE mufflers in my opinion Or pick up a used stock pipe from a member.
Heck they may just give it to you. Lots of them hanging in people's garages.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Road-King-Bob
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice guys. If I can't find a two into one that works with my mufflers then I'll say screw it and get the duals. Stiggy you are right the performance difference can't be that great and I'm not exactly street racing my road king.

The simple solution would be to get the crack welded, but then there goes my excuse to buy new pipes!! Hahaha

Old 09-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Road-King-Bob
Thanks for the advice guys. If I can't find a two into one that works with my mufflers then I'll say screw it and get the duals. Stiggy you are right the performance difference can't be that great and I'm not exactly street racing my road king.

The simple solution would be to get the crack welded, but then there goes my excuse to buy new pipes!! Hahaha
And many guys have successfully welded the Y pipe and they lasted.

Perhaps because of my looser(?) motor mount, or the age of the swingarm bushings, ( now all replaced,) my Y pipe cracked again...Just as my new E Series 2 into 1 was delivered by UPS

Old 09-08-2012, 04:58 PM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duals in, duals out...who needs mufflers?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Road-King-Bob
1st Gear

Nice ride 131tman! I like it!

I called D & D Exhaust and they are going to send me their Fat Cat 2:1 headers w/ Ghost pipe in all black for $350 shipped with military discount. Not a bad deal considering the stealership wanted close to 300 for just a new stock Y Pipe.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:10 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Road-King-Bob
Nice ride 131tman! I like it!

I called D & D Exhaust and they are going to send me their Fat Cat 2:1 headers w/ Ghost pipe in all black for $350 shipped with military discount. Not a bad deal considering the stealership wanted close to 300 for just a new stock Y Pipe.
Say what? You are getting a full new D&D 2:1 system with ghost pipe for $350? Is this the standard military discount or do you have some kind of special deal with them? I want the name and phone number of whoever you talked to.

Quick Reply: 2 into 1 headers WITHOUT mufflers?