Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tri-glide low speed handlebar wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM
fourH-Ds
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tri-glide low speed handlebar wobble

I am working on a friends 2010 ultra tri-glide. 17k miles, driven very very easy. He was complaining of a handlebar wobble at low speeds on uneven roads. I took it for a spin and to me it would have a headshake anytime a rear tire hit a bump or pothole. If the left tire went up on a bump, as to tip the machine to the right, the first movement of the handlebar would be to the right. If the left tire went down in a hole, tipping the machine to the left, the first move of the bars was to the left. Much the same as driving a bike at low speed, you turn the bars right and lean to the right, or turn left, lean left.
My first thought was neck bearing adjustment. After jacking it up and completely removing the clutch cable, the forks pretty much stayed where you put them. I dont have a tri-glide service manual, but I have one for my Electra Glide. The swing test calls for three swings on the EG. There was no binding or roughness, it just seemed that the bearings could be a little tight. My friend wants to loosen the bearings to get two swings. I am thinking that would make the wobble worse. Loose bearings wobble and tight bearings do not track straight, correct?
His problem is the most pronounced at slow in town speeds. And the steering damper feels good and smooth with plenty of resistance. I say its just the bike behaving the way its supposed to. With no other trikes at my disposal to compare, Im stumped.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 PM
fourH-Ds
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reposted this in the Tri-Glide section. I thought the touring section included Trikes until I saw they have their own section.