Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

411: Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods install - 2012 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012 | 09:56 PM
basselope
|
Road Captain
Exclamation 411: Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods install - 2012 FLHX

EDIT: 12-Mar-2013
Document updated to add a few of smittyc's observations.
I think I found a reasonable file sharing solution. I have uploaded the document to DepositFiles.

Filename: LED and Plasma Rods Installation - 031113.pdf
File size: 1.08MB
D/L Link: http://depositfiles.com/files/eu316df4m

If there is anything that needs attention let me know and I'll get it corrected Please give some feedback.
(Thx smittyc for pointing out the broken file link and for his feedback on the instructions!)

original post
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Though the questions have been asked hundreds of times in nearly every HD oriented forum out there, clear answers about "How do I wire...., Do I need..." are still hard to come by.

The most fuzzy subject I have seen concerns wiring Plasma Rods for Run/Brake/Turn operation. According to this guide (pg 2) from the Custom Dynamics site, you do NOT need an extra module to do this if you have a factory tri-bar light and DO NOT have a center tail light... just 2 PDCs (item TFC3 Dual Converter for 2010-2012 Street Glide and Road King)
http://www.customdynamics.com/instru..._rod_extra.pdf
[yes, its say "plama", not "plasma"]

Based on the conversation I had with Sean at Custom Dynamics, today I ordered the GEN200-KIT-1157 LED turn signal kit, two 8 inch rods and 2 TFC3 converters. I plan do do a full write up with pictures, wiring and wire routing to, hopefully, put this issue to bed for many folks still afraid to make the purchase.

Last edited by basselope; 03-12-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: latest draft uploaded
Old 09-04-2012 | 09:59 PM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior

Subscribed...my mega plasma rods came in just waiting for the yaffe stealth plate to come in.

Old 09-04-2012 | 10:00 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Love mine & it will be interesting to see how things wire-up w/your '12 & the "no-tail" option. Enjoy the upgrades - CD makes great stuff!

Old 09-04-2012 | 10:28 PM
Esuomm1
Tourer

Here's some pics from my install. 2011 though.

Pls note the 1/4 round wood used to mount the lights.

Some good, some not. Hope they help.

Attached Thumbnails 411: Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods install - 2012 FLHX-rear.jpg   411: Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods install - 2012 FLHX-a4-wires.jpg   411: Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods install - 2012 FLHX-a3-wires.jpg   411: Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods install - 2012 FLHX-a1-wire.jpg   411: Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods install - 2012 FLHX-a2-wires.jpg  

Last edited by Esuomm1; 09-04-2012 at 10:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Crazyeye355 (04-30-2024)
Old 09-05-2012 | 06:20 PM
basselope
|
Road Captain

Iceman24, Esoumm1, Skratch... the list of folks who's opinions, pics, vids and experiences I referred to before making my choice goes on and on. The 1/4 round mounting idea is pure genius!
Don't be surprised if I come to you for more opinions before this is over!

Thanks guys!

BTW, if you're ready to make a purchase from CD shoot me an IM. I have a 5% code I'm not likely to use. Someone might as well get some good out of it!

Last edited by basselope; 09-05-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2012 | 06:36 PM
BCKNBLK
Tourer

Just did mine as run/turn/brake a couple weeks ago and I tied into the tri bar light. I have a 2012 FLHX. I also did the 1157 LED rear turn signals with the signal stabilizer. I udes the 3/4" round trim as well (used the composite trim since it's weather resistant). Turned out great!

Old 09-05-2012 | 06:43 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior

I plan on doing something similar this winter to my 2012 RGC. I have CD clusters (with amber turns) from my 2007 that I want to use and I would like to purchase the run/brake/turn plasma rods from CD (with amber turns). Getting it all to work with the module on the back of the tri bar light has me somewhat stumped at the moment though. I hope to upgrade the LED's in the tri bar, bag spoilers, and tour pack spoiler, wiring them all for run/brake. Installing the clusters and plasma rods for run/brake/turn and keeping it all as clean as can be. I might be a little goofy, but I like the amber turns as opposed to the red. I think they stand out more as far as my intentions to other riders/cagers. JMHO....

Old 09-05-2012 | 07:24 PM
basselope
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by marvincbr
...2012 RGC... I would like to purchase the run/brake/turn plasma rods from CD (with amber turns). Getting it all to work with the module on the back of the tri bar light has me somewhat stumped at the moment though.
You're talking about the dual color plasma rods, right? According to the CD website:

"Low Intensity Red Running, High Intensity Red Brake, High Intensity Yellow Turn Signal - All in one Sleek Plasma Rod
Dual Converters Included, No Modules Required
Wiring is a Simple as Connecting Orange Wire to Running Light, Red Wire to Brake Light, Yellow Wire to Turn, Black to Ground"

I'll leave the rest alone since all of my info is still theoretical at this point.
Be sure to keep us updated... and post some pics so we can all be jealous!

Old 09-06-2012 | 02:58 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master

Do any of you that have switched to CD lights and/or LED lights have amps installed? Any interference with the radio and this configuration?

Old 09-06-2012 | 05:20 PM
MSgt1371
Cruiser
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by basselope
You're talking about the dual color plasma rods, right? According to the CD website:

"Low Intensity Red Running, High Intensity Red Brake, High Intensity Yellow Turn Signal - All in one Sleek Plasma Rod
Dual Converters Included, No Modules Required
Wiring is a Simple as Connecting Orange Wire to Running Light, Red Wire to Brake Light, Yellow Wire to Turn, Black to Ground"

I'll leave the rest alone since all of my info is still theoretical at this point.
Be sure to keep us updated... and post some pics so we can all be jealous!
Running these on my 2007 SG. Couldn't tell you how they wired in because my shop hooked them up for me. The wrench there said it was pretty simple though.

Attached Thumbnails 411: Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods install - 2012 FLHX-20120904_11-640x480-.jpg  

Quick Reply: 411: Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods install - 2012 FLHX