Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

411: Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods install - 2012 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012 | 10:08 AM
basselope
|
Road Captain

OK, first edit of the text for the basic LED conversion has been added to the first post in this thread (that is where all future edits will go.) Give it a read and start letting me know what needs to be tweaked while I work on the photos.

Once we have a pretty solid body of text I will move it to a downloadable document and post a link in the first post in this thread while we work on the next part of the project.

Sound like a plan?

First question for the forum. Anybody knows what the factory would install in this location (just forward of the fuse block)? It works great for me, but that space may be taken on another scoot.

Last edited by basselope; 09-08-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2012 | 03:14 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Old 09-08-2012 | 05:53 PM
basselope
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
Factory smart siren goes there.
PERFECT!
I'll add that info to the writeup, thanks!

I added a link in the first post to the a draft with photos (LED conversion only so far)

Last edited by basselope; 09-09-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2012 | 04:30 PM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior

installed them today on my 2011 flhx and it went pretty smooth. Used a plug n play harness from cd's with posilocks.

Only con is i thought the rods would be brighter looks a little muted.

Old 09-10-2012 | 06:03 PM
basselope
|
Road Captain

I kinda thought the same thing at first. My driveway is sloped down, and when I stood back about 20 feet (with a velcro strap holding the brake lever), the combo of clusters and rods was hard to look at for very long. And I'm glad that the rods seem to be considerably brighter during brake and turn than they are during run mode. I really want them to POP when I'm slowing down. Still not sure how they look from the road during direct, bright sunlight, but all-in-all I am very happy.

Old 09-10-2012 | 06:45 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by basselope
I kinda thought the same thing at first. My driveway is sloped down, and when I stood back about 20 feet (with a velcro strap holding the brake lever), the combo of clusters and rods was hard to look at for very long. And I'm glad that the rods seem to be considerably brighter during brake and turn than they are during run mode. I really want them to POP when I'm slowing down. Still not sure how they look from the road during direct, bright sunlight, but all-in-all I am very happy.
basselope: They SHOULD pop nicely; I've been running CD LED clusters on the tail of my bike since '09, and I've gotten comments about how bright the brakes light up when I hit them...on both my '09 Night Train (with a Badlands R/T/B controller) and now on the '11 Street Glide. I'm looking at adding the dual color Plasma Rods this winter to put more light back there.

As for interference; I DO have some interference in the radio (FM) when I activate the signals. CD sent me a "protected" module (it's coated in some silver substance), but I still get the static that bursts through the FM signal in time with the turn signals flashing. This even after moving the module as far from the antenna as I could manage to get it. It only does this when I'm using the radio mode, with both the HK head unit and now the Sony/Biketronics combo I'm running. Since I mostly listen to my iPod or XM, I'm not too concerned. I don't know what the source of the interference is; Badlands told me their module MAY or MAY NOT cure the condition, as it can be peculiar to a particular vehicle, and not be seen in 99% of the rest of the bikes similarly configured...good thing I don't care too much about terrestrial radio!

Old 09-10-2012 | 07:33 PM
Esuomm1
Tourer

Here's mine in case you didn't see them in the earlier posts.

Attached Thumbnails 411: Custom Dynamics Plasma Rods install - 2012 FLHX-rear.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012 | 06:22 PM
basselope
|
Road Captain

Sorry for the late reply, guys... I've been testing which bug splats complement Ember Red the best.

vhmike73: Good info, thanks for adding some more personal experience to the discussion. I haven't seen too many folks saying they had issues with audio interference, but I figured the retailers must be marketing shielded modules for a reason. I may have to add a something about that to my writeup.
I had the fairing internal antenna added before dealer delivery. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Esuomm1: Oh yeah, I checked out your install. That was one of reasons I chose to go with CD. I guess we don't always know how many people we actually influence. I just hope I can help a few folks as much as the members like you have helped me.

Last edited by basselope; 09-12-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2012 | 06:52 PM
Esuomm1
Tourer

^^^^^ Cool, glad I could help.

Email if you have any questions.

Best of luck,

J

Old 09-16-2012 | 08:57 PM
basselope
|
Road Captain

2nd draft uploaded 9/17/12.