Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Once again, the 1 K service

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Once again, the 1 K service

Sorry but once again, The 1 K service. I do all my own services on my vehicles, bikes and gas powered tools. A little training but mostly self taught. I fully plan to do all my services after the 1K but I am being told by friends, let the dealership do the first.... just to make sure ???? I don't see the point as I know I will do as good of a job and more than likely a better job because I will take my time and go thru every line on the list. Not saying that the dealership will cut corners but they are given a lot less time. It takes me about 4 hours after leaving it drain over night. Is there any advantage of letting the dealership do the 1K over doing it yourself "correctly" and keeping the receipts and making notes ????

Sorry for bringing up an old question, Be Safe JIM

Old 09-03-2012, 06:01 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Just a way for the dealer to get another few hundred from you, as with the 5k, 10k or any other k service they recommend.

I've always had my doubts....I'm sure most service departments are honest. But, I always think, what if they charged you $300-$600 for the "service" and just change the fluids, and send you on your way. How would you ever know?

Get a service manual and do it yourself. There's nothing "mystical" about these bikes if you have a little mechanical ability and some basic tools.

I have an '08 that I bought new, the last time it was at the dealer was the day I took delivery.
Same with every other car or bike I've bought in the last 45 years.
I have never had any warranty issues refused.

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 09-03-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:06 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Other than saving $300 - $400 of your $$$ - nothing mandates you to go to dealer for 1K service. Sounds like you're outfitted w/tools & knowledge so as the great Mr. **** was quoted..."just do it."

Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJIM1158
...I know I will do as good of a job and more than likely a better job because I will take my time and go thru every line on the list...
No disrespect intended but sometimes the untrained eye will not see something that may not be on "the list" and skip over it. Not saying the dealer's tech will see it either but they may have a slight edge over the amature.

...Not saying that the dealership will cut corners but they are given a lot less time. It takes me about 4 hours after leaving it drain over night.
Again, sometimes the dealer's tech just knows a much more efficient way of getting the same task accomplished. Most riders want their service done correctly but quickly. I don't think I've ever heard about a customer appreciating the dealer taking all day to do a simple, one-hour job.

...Is there any advantage of letting the dealership do the 1K over doing it yourself "correctly" and keeping the receipts and making notes ????
As suggested above, most service departments do the job correctly. And I've found it nice to have already established a good relationship with the service guys before I really need there help.

With that said, I too do just about all my own service.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Disagree...guess what the "new tech" gets to do at most dealerships...service work!

Gotta get trained somehow, but I trust my 50-yr-old eyesight over the "teenie bopper" HD tech's anyday.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do all of mine. No issues. Sounds as if you are of the same mindset as I am.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,825 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Disagree...guess what the "new tech" gets to do at most dealerships...service work!

Gotta get trained somehow, but I trust my 50-yr-old eyesight over the "teenie bopper" HD tech's anyday.
Having worked at HD Dealerships, I can say that you've make an understatement. As a Manager, I had 2 problems with Techs:

First you had to make certain they did it right.

Then you had to make sure that after they got it right, that they didn't get lazy and skip stuff, scratch stuff etc. ( Ever seen a tech the morning after a long night ? They're mostly kids remember...There's a reason that when we go to HD Universty for training in Milwaukee, Techs and Managers stay at separate hotels.)

Remember, No One cares more about how it's done more than you.

Last edited by Stiggy; 09-03-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is an extensive list and worth the price IMO if everything on the list is actually done. But as pointed out, how do you know? My confidence was shaken when I got my bike back with no change in the odometer. A test ride is an item on the list. So what else was blown off? If you have the tools and are capable, have at it. I know I will do all subsequent interval services.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:29 AM
shawkpilot
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I took my bike in for a faulty tire. The dealer tech didn't reattach the muffler. AND he took it on a test ride. I rode it home and found out. Of course they couldn't just send me the bolts cause I'm not a "certified Harley mechanic". That was the last time my bike goes to a Harley dealer.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 AM
jfarrar30
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first harley had 1k at dealer. Got home over a quart full on oil. Have done that last 2 on my own

Quick Reply: Once again, the 1 K service