Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS power/mount questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:03 PM
HDRoadking_nc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS power/mount questions

Need some input on what others are doing for their GPS units. I have a cheapo Garmin Nuvi 205 that I use in my car and on my bike ('12 RK). On the bike I have a RAM mount on the handlebars that I can easily remove the dock which just leaves a small ball.

Typically I only put the GPS unit on the bike if I'm planning on taking a long ride and I normally leave it turned off until I need it to get me back home (basically I take off and try to get lost ). I don't have any type of power connector for the unit and I have to rely on it's battery life for use, which typically lasts me 1-2 hours.

What I'd like is to have a power cable to power the unit but have a way of easily disconnecting the power cord. That way if I don't have the GPS mounted I don't have a power cord dangling anywhere. I've thought about the HD aux power connector, but I have no idea where I'd mount it on my RK up near where the GPS unit is.

Also even though I like the RAM mount, I'd like to see if anyone has used any other types that might look/work better mounted on the bike.

Send me your thoughts, pics, suggestions please

Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 PM
06flstf
Tourer

I had wired a cigarrete lighter socket in a windshield bag. When I mounted GPS it plugged into bag. When off the bike wires were in bag and all you saw was the ram mount ball. Don't have fat boy anymore but this worked well for me.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,495 Likes on 2,680 Posts

Here's my complete write up of my (waterproof) Nuvi 550:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...gps-setup.html

Post #4 has a complete list of parts, links and prices.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:18 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ideally you need a USB power connector. Unfortunately you alos need a bit more juice than the average USB power adapter. I solved this by building my own adapter and wiring it into the accessory power. This is waht I ordered:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...6-5-ND/2259781

I wired it up and put it in a very small and water tight container that is hidden inside my fairing - although you don't need a fairing to tuck something like this out of sight.

I sacrificed a spare USB cable that I had lying around.

I use Velcro reusable cable ties to secure the cable. (Home Depot sells them)

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/velcro-...ck--90924.html

I then bought a GPS mount off eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-G...4&cmd=ViewItem

(search eBay for "Motorcycle GPS Mount Garmin Nuvi Streetpilot 1" barMotorcycle GPS Mount Garmin Nuvi Streetpilot 1" bar", make sure you get the right size for your bike).

The whole set-up works like a charm.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 277 Likes on 84 Posts

The cleanest setup is to install a Kuryakyn power outlet on your handlebar. Mine is wired so it comes on when the key is on. Then, either use the power cord you have for the Garmin or better yet purchase a USB garmin charging cable from 3BRPowersports. If you use the USB charging cable you will also need a Griffin Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro adapter. You can order this from Amazon.com for $5.60.

I have this setup on my Road King and it works great. Much better than snaking a cord from your GPS to a power outlet in your saddlebag.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Fastmover
5th Gear

Ordered the powerport and connectes it to the fender tip lighting circuit so it turns off when the ignition switch is off from http://www.3brpowersports.com/. I also ordered the 1 foot usb cable for the garmin Nuvi. The powerport supplies USB voltage from the 12 volts that poweres the fender light. Even though my '04 RK Custom doesn't have the light the wiring is there. The powerport has a handlebar mounting.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rwtrick
The cleanest setup is to install a Kuryakyn power outlet on your handlebar.
Crikey - I just looked that up. I'm having a hard time equating "cleanest" and that big thing hanging off my bars. No offense - I'm not even sure there'd be room for that on my bars.

This is what you're talking about right? http://www.jpcycles.com/product/383-548

Last edited by davessworks; 09-02-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 PM
HDRoadking_nc
Tourer

Great suggestions by all...thanks alot guys!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 277 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Crikey - I just looked that up. I'm having a hard time equating "cleanest" and that big thing hanging off my bars. No offense - I'm not even sure there'd be room for that on my bars.

This is what you're talking about right? http://www.jpcycles.com/product/383-548
It fits just fine and is fairly unobtrusive. If I could figure out how to upload pictures I post of pic of my setup so you could see. i've tried the running wires to my bags and found that to be a messy solution.

Unfortunately, there are only a few solutions for a Road King. I like the Kuryakyn powerport the best.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:27 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rwtrick
It fits just fine and is fairly unobtrusive. If I could figure out how to upload pictures I post of pic of my setup so you could see. i've tried the running wires to my bags and found that to be a messy solution.

Unfortunately, there are only a few solutions for a Road King. I like the Kuryakyn powerport the best.
That's cool - I believe you. These things always look different in real life! Post em if you can.

Quick Reply: GPS power/mount questions