Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have LED solution for TourPak tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:09 PM
mhutch2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have LED solution for TourPak tail lights?

I installed Kuryakyn's Panacea tail and signal lights on my Ultra last fall and really like the brighter lighting and "redder" color. Now, I'd like to get my tail lights on the tour pack to match - both color and change to LED. Anyone done this and what was your solution? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:42 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone have LED solution for TourPak tail lights?

mhutch2,

Had not thought about modifying the TP light bar. LED replacement bulbsmight be one option. I chose to initially add another light source, LED bar, or something like the HOG lite, .... but that hasn't worked out. Check the thread on the warning if you are thinking that way.

Look into the Radianz LEDs at their site. An ultra rider had added them on HIS (I think)ride.

Still looking for an alternative to the Spoiler look.

Price

Old 01-22-2007, 06:17 PM
mhutch2
Advanced

FLGEEZ,
Thanks for the reply. I thought about the spoiler and like the way it looks but that wouldn't solve my dissatisfaction with the existing TP lighting. I'm considering replacing my incandescent bulbs with LED but not sure if the lenses will still make the color look orangish (sp). I'm hoping someone has experimented with this and can pass on sucesses or failures. Let me know what you come up with and I'll do the same.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:44 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

I installed Kuryakyn TRU Sphere leds on my 96 brake/turn and tail lights. The RED LED in the Brake/Run light doesn't make the light look orange. Are you talklin about the regular turn signals (AMBER LENS). If so there are Red Lens kit available a plenty for change over to brake/turn signal lights on the standard Amber turn signals. I am reading you post to say the light bar on the Tour Pack. Correct? After re reading your post you must be talking about the multi color arrow directional part of the Panacea and applying that look to the tour pack.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/95942144F4634860823911F631DCFCA0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2007, 11:08 PM
mhutch2
Advanced

FLGEEZ,
I think we're on the same page. The Kury panacea kit I installed is the LED tail light the flashes when you apply the brake and the turn signals are LED red that also flash when applying the brake. The turn signals flash yellow when you turn the signal on. I really like how bright red they are and want to get the tail lights in the TourPak (what I'm guessing you're calling the light bar) to look the same color. I don't care that they don't have the flashing arrow like in the tail light, or the star pattern like the signal lights. I just want the added brightness and the color of the LED. If you're saying the kury LED bulbs you switched to do the trick I might just give it a try. They're pretty expensive but might be worth the $$. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:31 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

I remember reading a post about replacing the red lens with smoke lens. Someone had the idea of cutting them out of the Tour Pack light bar/rail/thingy. I'll see ifI can track it down.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:46 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

I was confusing the smoke lens with the Radianz bulb. The LED bullb (circular array for 1157 direct replacement) can be found at:

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm

you need to remove the red lens on the wrap around lightbar cause they are too big to enter from the back. I must be making up the smoke lens thing...still need to remove the lightbar lens though.
Old age.

But I had seen this on WEBBIKEWORLD some time ago before signing on here. I have bought and installed one of the Back Off units on my wife's 01 EGC.
http://www.customdynamics.com/signal..._modulator.htm
Check the warnings about Cruise control on the 02 models.

Sent this along as a PM, just in case you don't get back for a while

Old 01-23-2007, 12:53 PM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have the Panacea light system on my Ultra, and was looking for the same effect on the tour pack lighting I ran across this item in the Dennis Kirk catalog from Kuryakyn kinda pricey but should compliment the lighting system well it also flashes when the brake is applied.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp...ey&ci=3182

Old 01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
mhutch2
Advanced

SSJ,

That's exactly the solution I've been looking for. Thanks for the info. Have you done this? If so, how does it look compared to the panacea lights? Once again, the forum came through. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:07 PM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I just saw them in the new catalog yesterday while having some spare time at work, it's a Halogen bulb with flasher not a led. It's probably the best item I've found so far for the tour pack, I believe that's what I'm going to do, can't have to much rear lighting IMO to keep the cagers at bay...

Quick Reply: Anyone have LED solution for TourPak tail lights?