Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Lower or Not to Lower???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012 | 04:32 PM
St Glide
|
Cruiser
Default To Lower or Not to Lower???

I have a 2006 Streetglide that I purchased brand new in late 2005. I had to lower the back 1" because of reach issues and all was fine. I have recently installed a 21" front wheel and now I the bike sits an an angle. While I like the look I do not like how the bike now sits with the front end tilted up. I have been told I can lower the front 1" or 2" one of my concerns is the front suspension bottoming out or the fender hitting the crash bar. I also do not want the bike to ride like crap. So my question is do I lower it 1" 2" or just leave it be? I would like some input from some of you that have actually lowered their bikes or have some experience in this matter.
Thanks,

Old 09-01-2012 | 05:00 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Not.Raise the rear and get a different seat.

Old 09-01-2012 | 05:04 PM
St Glide
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigheadted
What seat would you recommend?

Old 09-01-2012 | 05:05 PM
chopper king matt
Tourer

i have a 2006 RKC and i have the Burly Slammer Kit lowering mine 2-3" front and rear and also i have a 21" front wheel,stock size 16" rear

i already had the lowering kit on before fitting the 21" front wheel so i dont know any difference, but the ride is a lot harsher, but does handle better and it gives the low killer looks you want, but dont be surprised if you find yourself looking for pot holes lol
if you buy the front spring kit only you have a plastic tube what you can cut down to suit your lowering needs and wants, i personally have never hit the front fender on anything mounted above the fender and we have some terrible roads over here
hth

Matt

Old 09-01-2012 | 06:02 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by bigheadted
^^This.

Form over function…ahhh, the age old dilemma.

A motorcycle needs a couple of basic things if you want it to handle well, and be reasonably comfortable. These things are called "suspension travel," (provided by quality shock absorbers) and "ground clearance."

If you take away all the suspension travel by installing shocks with an inch or less of travel, the quality of the ride is going to suffer. When that shock runs out of travel, it is going to bottom out…or the rear tire is going to impact the rear fender, or the bottom triple tree is going to impact the front fender. None of these are a good scenario. Bottom line is that when a shock absorber runs out of travel and bottoms out, that jolt from the pothole you just hit will be transmitted through the frame to your body. How is that comfortable?

If you slam the suspension, you inevitably lose ground clearance. Without ground clearance, it's difficult to lean the bike into a turn without hitting something...scraping a peg, a kickstand, an exhaust. Speed bumps would be fun too. How does a bike handle better if you can't lean it into turns?

OP, it's your choice, but I would raise your bike back up, and get a lower seat…maybe buy some boots with thick soles. Don't compromise the comfort and handling of your bike.

Old 09-01-2012 | 06:06 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Raise the back end up and send your seat to Meancity cyles for a custom fit mod.

Old 09-01-2012 | 06:16 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

I don't think Ted and Bronson understood the post. If you put a 21" up front ya gotta lower the front end. One could argue how much you lower it, and part of that argument would include which tire you chose so we can determine total diameter. I would guess you lower it 1" though.

As far as lowering the rear? Sounds like you did that 7 years ago and must be happy with the ride. I would have done the seat b4 I lowered the suspension though. Especially since SG's come with a lowered (1") suspension to begin with.

Old 09-01-2012 | 06:45 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Dew Me
I don't think Ted and Bronson understood the post. If you put a 21" up front ya gotta lower the front end. One could argue how much you lower it, and part of that argument would include which tire you chose so we can determine total diameter. I would guess you lower it 1" though.
I understood the post just fine. I forgot to add that I would get rid of the 21 inch front wheel, and put the stock wheel back on.

As you mentioned, if you have a 21 inch wheel up front, then you have to lower the front end to keep the correct trail. As for how much you have to lower the front end, I don't know.

As it stands now, he has a 21 inch front wheel, AND he lowered his SG an inch in the rear. His trail has increased quite a bit from stock. You would have to lower the front end in increments, and measure the trail at each increment...and that might not be enough to return the trail to that of a stock bagger, which is a little over 6 inches. If he ended up lowering the front end enough to reduce the trail back to normal, how much suspension travel has he given up in the front…let alone the rear? Too much, in my opinion.

Old 09-01-2012 | 07:25 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

I lowered my front 1" and +1 in back with 13" legends shocks. frame is level. I really don't care how low the bike is while riding. but I love the slammed look when it's parked.

Old 09-01-2012 | 08:20 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

Don't.............

Quick Reply: To Lower or Not to Lower???