Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difference in oil....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:41 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts
Talking difference in oil....

During Sturgis week I replaced my engine oil from the 20w50 to the Amsoil SAE60...which I liked...it made my engine much quieter...my question is... what exactly is the difference from the HD SAE60 oil which is $8 and the AMSOIL SAE60 which is $13....does anyone know the "technicalities" of the oil and why such a price difference.
By the way I loved Sturgis/Black Hills, my first time there with 10 other couples...will definately do it again next year...loved the roads/curves, scenery and fellow riders.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:45 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

do not use a conventional oil in your bike.

use a synthetic made for air cooled motors. conventional 'dino" oils do not tolerate high temperatures as well as synthetics...and can crystalize from heat-- this stuff is like sand when it collects in the pan and recesses of the motor.

remember the twin cam sprays oil at the underside of the pistons and the cylinder bore...the hottest parts of the motor- oil's job is not only to lubricate, but to remove heat

the SAE60 is what i use in my 60 year old FLF.

New motors demand better technology.

Old motors cannot take advantage of it

putting a heavy grade oil in your bike is not as bad as putting sawdust in a tranny to quiet it down...but almost.

a heavy oil will not flow well on start up- metal on metal ... mutligrade oils such as a 20w50 rating flow like a 20W when cold, but act like a 50 w when hot.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-01-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:53 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

use a synthetic made for air cooled motors. conventional 'dino" oils do not tolerate high temperatures as well as synthetics...and can crystalize from heat-- this stuff is like sand when it collects in the pan and recesses of the motor.

remember the twin cam sprays oil at the underside of the pistons and the cylinder bor...the hottest parts of the motor- oil's job is not only to lubricate, but to remove heat

putting a heavy grade oil in your bike is not as bad as putting sawdust in a tranny to quiet it down...but almost.

a heavy oil will not flow well on start up- metal on metal ... mutligrade oils such as a 20w50 rating flow like a 20W when cold, but act like a 50 w when hot.

Mike

Old 09-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Adding to that: There are tiny ports in the Twin Cam engine that will allow a 60 wt oil to flow only at temps over 80 degrees F Anything cooler ,( thicker,) and those ports will starve somewhat.

Best of both worlds would be a 20W/60 engineered to flow more readily and still protect like a 60 wt.

'Straight" 60 is for hot climates only.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:13 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Ok but the manual states my '11 96ci TC can use 60w if exterior temperatures are 80degrees> (average temp when I wake up is 82-90) and 50w if it's 60degrees>, which around here in Phoenix I rarely ride when it's below 60 degrees (what can I tell ya my fricken bones ache it's why I live here). With that said, and riding a newer TC, I should be able to run 50w for what we call Winters and 60w for what we call Summers with my riding habits.....I'm not making up my own oil viscosity formulas it's in the manual as an option?
Mike, I consider you extremely knowledgeable but I've got to disagree with you about using conventional oil or it too would be discouraged by the manual....sorry dude.

Last edited by TUCCI; 09-01-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:24 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
...I've got to disagree with you about using conventional oil or it too would be discouraged by the manual....

for those who are interested, Lake Speed jr talks about oil, science, new oil and old motors etc at the adam carolla carcast podcast.

which can be downloaded from here:

http://www.adamcarolla.com/CarCastBl...ed-jr-audi-r8/

or at itunes

he's smarter than I am

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-01-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mkguitar

remember the twin cam sprays oil at the underside of the pistons and the cylinder bore...the hottest parts of the motor- oil's job is not only to lubricate, but to remove heat

Mike
Mike, dyno oils are fine in our bikes and there are plenty of suitable ones out there for our Harleys. Dyno oils are recommended by the factory, which should be good enough for all of us! Synthetic oils are far more useful in modern plain bearing engines, but less so in our Harleys.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There are a number of advantages that synthetic oil has over conventional oils and that is why I only run synthetic. First is the lubricity of synthetic and it ability to "hang on" on metal. Protects much better during start ups. It also has higher "shear" strength then conventional motor oil, thereby adding additional piece of mind for me while I put the motor under load (heavy acceleration). Synthetic withstands high heat much better then dino oil. There are more benefits too so I am confused when people "fight" against the use of it. I think it comes down to dollar and cents. It is a better oil, but if you can't justify the additional cost or can't afford that's ok. For the rest of us that use synthetic oils we understand.