Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 DIY? and looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Teleman444
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 DIY? and looking for advice

Hello all,

I'm interested in a stage 1 kit for my 2005 Road King Police. Planning on doing this myself, as it seems a pretty straightforward job. (Hope I'm right...)

So far, I'm thinking slip-ons from Supertrapp (SE series), and Screaming Eagle or Arlen Ness air cleaner. (I'll take recommendations?)

My question is about the fuel management - I was originally thinking PCIII. But now I see there's a PCV retrofit that I can use from fuelmoto for my bike.

And, when exploring options at the HD dealer, they try to steer me away from Power Commanders, and say the way to go is the HD EFI Super Tuner - as it adjusts the ECM, and doesn't (as they put it) piggy back on the ECM. And they also say that dyno tuning is a requirement to get good results. True?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd appreciate it. I'm new to this forum, and new to Harley Davidson, but I've been riding for 30+ years.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:06 PM
hawg20
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure you can do it! I got Screaming Eagle Air cleaner and V&H pipes, called Jamie at Fuelmoto told him what I had, he programed and sent me Power Commander. It was plug and ride. Only had to make one adjustment. Had popping on decel. Jamie had me make an adjustment on the "0" throttle position and it cured the problem. Saved alot of money to buy other goodies!

Old 09-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

If you're thinking about going with a PC-V retrofit from Fuel Moto, be sure to give Jamie or Keith a call and let them know you've got a police bike. When I had a PC-V on my 07 Road King police, there was limited map support available for my bike. I don't exactly understand why the police bikes would have different maps than the civilian bikes, but it came up a number of times. When I built the 107 motor last winter, I emailed fuel moto for a new map, and was told that they couldn't help me with a map, let the autotune dial the bike in. Ultimately, I got rid of my power commander and went with a tts.

I never was really happy with how my bike ran with the power commander. It ran good, but got lousy mileage (around 30 mpg), and always smelled like gas when I shut it down. It ran better with a fuelpak than it did with the power commander.

When I redid my top end last winter, I installed a SERT, then upgraded it to tts. Even though the motor's significantly more ballsy now (107/10.8 compression/woods 8 cams) it gets better mileage (upper 30s) than when it was 103/se204/PCV.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Yes, a Stage 1 install is pretty straight forward. The more difficult aspect is choosing the components to use.

I have been happy with the Power Commanders I have used on several bikes. Jamie at Fuelmoto is a great resource for them and maps.

On the Air Cleaner, you will get more performance out of an OUTLAW HiFlow 587 than most other Stage 1 A/C's, including the Big Sucker.

Here's a pic of just one of the many looks available with the OUTLAW-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-01-2012, 02:43 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
If you're thinking about going with a PC-V retrofit from Fuel Moto, be sure to give Jamie or Keith a call and let them know you've got a police bike. When I had a PC-V on my 07 Road King police, there was limited map support available for my bike. I don't exactly understand why the police bikes would have different maps than the civilian bikes, but it came up a number of times. When I built the 107 motor last winter, I emailed fuel moto for a new map, and was told that they couldn't help me with a map, let the autotune dial the bike in. Ultimately, I got rid of my power commander and went with a tts.

I never was really happy with how my bike ran with the power commander. It ran good, but got lousy mileage (around 30 mpg), and always smelled like gas when I shut it down. It ran better with a fuelpak than it did with the power commander.

When I redid my top end last winter, I installed a SERT, then upgraded it to tts. Even though the motor's significantly more ballsy now (107/10.8 compression/woods 8 cams) it gets better mileage (upper 30s) than when it was 103/se204/PCV.
You PC needed a map modification, seems it was running way too fat. Lot's of us on here coulda helped with that easy enough. The SERT marries itself to the ECM. you cant take it with you...
To the OP.....welcome to the forum. There are many choices so my suggestion is get one that allows you to get into the different fuel and timing tables, throttle positions and RPM ranges. If the one you go with does not, your going to be dependent on everyone else instead of your abilities which is plenty.
As far as the exhaust, the SE fatshotz and some of the supertrapp models allows you to tune the pipes by adding or subtraction disks to get the desired sound and low or top end torque.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Teleman444
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TUCCI
You PC needed a map modification, seems it was running way too fat. Lot's of us on here coulda helped with that easy enough. The SERT marries itself to the ECM. you cant take it with you...
To the OP.....welcome to the forum. There are many choices so my suggestion is get one that allows you to get into the different fuel and timing tables, throttle positions and RPM ranges. If the one you go with does not, your going to be dependent on everyone else instead of your abilities which is plenty.
As far as the exhaust, the SE fatshotz and some of the supertrapp models allows you to tune the pipes by adding or subtraction disks to get the desired sound and low or top end torque.
Thanks for the welcome Tucci. I'm loving my new (to me) ride! And thanks to all for the responses. Even though my bike is a police bike, it's a bone stock TC88. I think the police bikes went to a 103 sometime after 2005. I wonder if that makes any difference with the PCV?

Does the PCIII or PCV retrofit allow for dyno tuning, and getting into the fuel and timing tables, throttle positions and RPM ranges? Or do I need to go another route? Just to clarify, the TTS is the Harley Super Tuner, right? Which changes the actual ECM? And, can the TTS be a DIY install? Or just HD? Seems I have many questions...

I appreciate the help, and as I'm just getting into this, it's good to know there are folks on this forum willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You will get as many suggestions for a tuner as there are tuners out there on the market! They all have their fans in here and you will be rewarded by spending a little time reading recent threads. The choices range from those you need a dyno for, through others you can install maps on, to others you can learn to tune yourself.

IMHO there is no substitute for a dyno tune, as that is the only way to get the very best out of your bike. For that I suggest you chose your tuning shop and go with what they recommend. That way you will get the best out of them!

Another consideration is that if you have other tuning plans up your sleeve, wait until you can do that too, so you only pay once to get your bike set up.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Call FUEL MOTO..... They are the only ones to ask this question to. They will guide you in the right direction and no pressure to buy from them.

Be Safe JIM

Old 09-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Teleman444
3rd Gear
Default Is it worth it?

I'll definitely give Fuelmoto a call. Seems like a great resource, and eventual source of parts, etc.

For those of you who have done a stage 1, I'm curious if you all feel it was worth it? The main symptoms I'm trying to resolve are that the bike runs rougher (I think leaner) when it warms up. Sounds and feels starved for fuel. Also, it doesn't run steady when moving/slow cruising in lower RPMs, in 2nd and 3rd especially. Fuel management while trying to hold a steady 20 or 25 mph around town seems a little grabby and uneven.

When I first bought my bike, I was glad it was bone stock, and now, just a few weeks in, I'm already thinking about modifying...

This could be a slippery slope...