Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-K Radio Trouble - Suggestions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default H-K Radio Trouble - Suggestions Wanted

I'll try to keep this short and to the point. 09 FLHTCU

Had problem with major wobble in the front end and decided to change tires as the wheel had to come off anyway. Had the dealer check the F & R wheel bearings and found the F were NFG and had to be replaced. Also, checked the Neck Bearing and found it to be too loose. This is now where my problem begins.

When I took the bike to the dealer the radio and CB worked perfectly. I ride with 3 other Ultra Classics and we converse all the time on the CB's so I know the H-K Radio and CB were working perfect.

In order to adjust the neck bearing the Radio has to be removed from the bike. Now the problems start. First thing I notice the everyone is complaining of the static when I transmit. Then I notice I can't understand anyone because of the static when I receive. I check the antenna from one end to the other and find nothing wrong.

Next the sound from the speakers cuts-out. However when I push the 3 way speaker switch the sound immediately comes back. This only lasts for 5 to 10 minutes before it cuts out again. Switch when pushed puts speaker back on. I can't understand anything on CB as static is unbelievable and yes I have adjusted the squelch level.

I take bike back to dealer as as far as I'm concerned this is cause of all the trouble in the first place. Dealer checks all the connections and tells me nothing is wrong and charges me $95.50 and says everything is working as it should. Great! Not real pleased with charge but if everything back to normal then small price to pay.

I get 10 minutes down the road and the radio cuts out. No-one answers me on the CB when I try it, so don't know if it works. Dealer is closed as I was the last one to pick up bike that day.

I bring bike back today as now it is cutting out worse than ever. Service guy says I have to deal with owner as it's not his problem. Unbelievable. Never had the problem until the dealer removed unit.

I talk to dealer and he suggests i exchange radio for $400.00 with HD. I tell him I'll send it to Iron-Cross before I send it to HD and besides I don't think there is anything wrong with radio. Dealer has no idea who Iron Cross is. I explained to him who they are and that they only charge $250.00. He seems mildly interested.

I can't record a disc slow enough for the radio to read so I can't update the software to see if this will make a difference. Dealer told me he will update software for me but once again i have to bring the bike in. If this doesn't work he is willing to lend me a radio to see if the problem persists. I'm convinced they screwed something up when they took the radio out. Anyone have any ideas. I still don't know why the dealer won't take responsibility for the screwup.

Anyone have any ideas. I'm at a loss and I want my radio and CB back to normal.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:56 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The dealer needs to get it right since they charged you for it, you're better than me, I wouldn't have been as nice. If you are able you might want to recheck all the connections and the ground, it also wouldn't hurt to clean the connectors on the back of the radio and put some dielectric grease in them. If you go that far, turn the unit on and wiggle the wires, make sure that there isn't a loose connection. With all that said, I still believe the dealer should fix it.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:28 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure about the CB issue on your bike but I will bet my last dollar your HK radio has suffered vibration damage to it. I had the same issue with mine as have many many other touring model owners. Flipping the speaker switch around will at times get the sound to come back on but trust me in time the sound will go out and it might not come back for days or even weeks. It's not the speaker switch nor a loose connection it's the radio itself. Call Tony at Iron Cross. He will make your radio better then new. Did the dealer mention if your fairing brackets were busted? It is usually the first culprit in the damage to the radio, and of course the dealer will admit no fault in the timing of the issue.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:04 PM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately the problem is in the radio. The timing could not be worse. But it's not the dealers fault. The radio would have gone bad anyway. About the cb I 'm at a loss as to what went wrong.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:24 AM
leachman
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
Default radio

I just had to have my dealer replace my radio all under warranty. Radio was shorting out speakers as you describe. Best $50 spent.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:41 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cutting in and out does sound like the radio has been hit with vibration damage. There is a service bulletin to address this. Of course it doesn't cover the radio, but if you get the radio fixed it's coming back.

I am not sure the SB number but it involves different bolts on the handle bar clamps and for sure covers the 08 and 09 batwing models. Iron Cross will know if your's was because of the vibration issue. It sucks to be in your position, but you are probably going to have to spend to get it fixed.

Not sure about the CB. It could be related to your cutting in and out. Do you have the same problem with it while the engine is off?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you checked the antenna connection on the back of the CB? The CB will do all of the above with a loose/disconnected antenna. Just because they charged you to check it doesn't mean they did.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm guessing it's vibration damage. Either the dealer can send it in or you can.
Iron Cross is cheaper and will tell you exactly what they did to fix it.

Didn't your dealer offer to install a trial radio?
Have them do that while you send it to Iorn Cross.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:54 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

send it to Iron Cross......they'll fix it right for $250. I sent mine ('09 SG) and it has work flawlessly ever since.....

Also check out this thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...few-notes.html

Last edited by SGLarry; 09-01-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:51 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if when the tech put the radio back in he ham fisted the large connectors back into position and damaged a pin/socket?