Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monkey bars or prime apes

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012 | 12:46 PM
saschagast
|
Tourer
Default Monkey bars or prime apes

Ive had the yaffe 12" monkey bars on order for about 5 weeks now and the eta has now been pushed to at least October 10, who knows when they will actually arrive. In the meantime, I have looked at other options and realized that I just like the shape of the yaffe and the prime apes the best. I like the wild1s w0577, but I don't love the look of them with the batwing fairing of my street glide.

Now I really do like the LA chopper prime apes, but I wanna ask people that maybe have seen both or own either of them. The prime apes are 39" wide, the yaffe are 36"ish. Has that ever been an issue? Is 39" a tad wide or is it not even a bother.

Just looking for some input so I can maybe order the prime apes and get going.

What say you fellow riders?

Old 08-31-2012 | 12:51 PM
jjpish
Road Captain

I have the Prime Apes and Love them!!! I am used to wider bars as I had Beach Bars on my 03 RKC.

Old 08-31-2012 | 12:59 PM
saschagast
|
Tourer

Cool, I was just wondering how they would change the ease of steering. I love how easy those big bikes are to ride and turn and in a way don't wanna loose that. It will be a touring bike and I'd hate to put bars on that have a negative effect on ridability.

Old 08-31-2012 | 01:11 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

The Yaffe bars are vertical, whereas the LA Choppers come out of the fairing and have a slight "V" shape.

Obviously, this explains the difference in width. From there, it's a personal preference.

Old 08-31-2012 | 01:20 PM
jjpish
Road Captain

I personally did not find any negative effect in the steering or handling. It is a lot more comfortable for long rides. I have ridden it from MD VA, NC, TN, DE, NJ, NY, CT and many day rides around home as well as as many days I can ride to work as possible. Once you get used to the new positioning (which takes about a 15 minutes ride) they feel as natural as anything else IMHO...

The only place I felt a diffference was in a tight low speed parking lot turn. I have mine pushed as far forward as they would go and even with my long "Ape Arms" I feel a little stretch in a full lock turn. But how often does that happen...

Last edited by jjpish; 08-31-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2012 | 01:28 PM
saschagast
|
Tourer

Fair enough....not like I do u-turns all day long

Old 08-31-2012 | 01:32 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jjpish
Once you get used to the new positioning (which takes about a 15 minutes ride) they feel as natural as anything else IMHO...

Old 08-31-2012 | 05:18 PM
mike1158
Road Master

who are you ordering them from? i got mine from www.americanclassicmotors.net
...they had them in stock.... it was last winter, but still worth a shot..

Old 08-31-2012 | 05:23 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I ordered mine from Dr. Vtwin, even though they are no longer in business.....

I think you can also order them from Hill Country Customs too. If you go with Yaffe's, you just gotta know you need to wait. It's a worthy wait though, and can be a good winter project. I even took used the teardown as a good time to have my inner color-matched.

I'm starting to find that almost anything will require a wait anymore. Not a lot of stock laying around. I read it here, once before: "A custom bike requires a custom attitude."

Old 08-31-2012 | 05:39 PM
saschagast
|
Tourer

The prime apes are in stock, so that's cool, and in regards to winter project....... What exactly is this " winter " you speak of? I'm in Los Angeles, hahaha.

I think I'll just go worth prime apes, can't find a bad review

Quick Reply: Monkey bars or prime apes