Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best headset?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Best headset?

For those that have researched helmet headsets, what are the best options? I've seen some rather mixed reviews on certain J&M products but those were not about their headsets.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Their headsets are actually pretty good. Another option if you don't want to pay HD prices,is IMC motorcom. I think they make the BOOM for Harley.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're talking about bluetooth bike to bike and rider to passenger check out Sena and Scala.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dbell66253
If you're talking about bluetooth bike to bike and rider to passenger check out Sena and Scala.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have an Ultra with all the bells and whistles. I figure I'm better off using wired - that way I can hear the radio too.

Last edited by davessworks; 08-30-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the BOOM headsets that came with the bike, A set of J&M Elite headsets, and just recently bought an IMC Motorcom. All are used in 3/4 helmets. Along with using them to communicate with my passenger, I listen to the stereo with them a majority of the time. Out of the three I prefer the IMC. The BOOM sounds good and the mic is pretty clear, but the system to clamp it to the side of the helmet comes loose frequently. The J&M sounds OK also, but the mic is a little less sharp than the Boom. I've also had a failure on one of the connecting cords and they are a $65 replacement. The IMC was the easiest to mount and sounds as good, if not slightly better than either of the other two. I also bought a cord that will connect the headset directly to my Ipod for when I'm on my FXR. Cost is less thanof half the other two brands.

So, since you were looking for someone that had first hand experience with all three headsets, I'm recommending the IMC.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing that drove me nuts about the HD headset is that the connector to the helmet kept coming loose. It hit the tank a couple of times, but never did any noticeable damage.

The J&M sounds much better to my ears, but speaker placement is critical with any headset. And you don't have to worry about it coming loose.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:42 AM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the scala rider teamset pro. Their good for me. Bluetooth/intercom.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:41 AM
WAYJO
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have used the J&M for many years on my Goldwings and my Harleys. Always been pretty satisfied with the sound and quality. They stand behind their products. They are definitely way better than the HD one's. Can't comment on the other brand's as I have never owned any of them.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:56 AM
FrankCaputo
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not trying to hijack this thread, but will any of these work with a half helmet or is it too noisy?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:14 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Omgtkk

Which J&M headset do you have? I understand their newer Elite brand is better than the lower cost set.

Quick Reply: Best headset?