Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long leged riders issues and solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012 | 12:41 PM
lumper
|
Road Master
Default long leged riders issues and solution?

Hi all,

Got an 07 Road king police.
I am 6'3" with long legs.
When I sit on my Road kings my legs are bunched up on the boards if I want to use the controls.

After a long ride this gets painful even.
I dont like to put my feet out on a highway bar with pegs as they are way out like stirrups and arent very comfortable either.

I have been looking for years for a way to extend the reach without losing my boards.
I cant find anything that actually works.

I came up with an idea and I have approached a fabricator to see if he will work on it with me.

I want to make a mount for the boards that will allow you to take off your existing boards and using a mounting bracket put them back on 3" forward of their stock position.

then I would cut and weld a piece to lengthen the heel toe shifter and rear brake lever so they sit in the appropriate position compared to the new boards position.

The idea is just move the existing set up about 3" forward.

I know this might be an issue with say a highway bar but in the end if a long legged rider can sit more naturally on the bike and be more comfortable that is the goal.

Anyone here good at fabricating or welding want to try this?
Anyone know of anything I may have missed in my search for this application?
I cant find anyone making this set up anywhere.

I can easily sketch up the mounting bracket necessary to do this and adding a few inches to the levers isnt rocket science, but I dont weld or have a shop or any means of actually doing this mod.

I am so sick of feeling like Im too big for my bike and experimenting with every seat/bar option to get more comfy doesnt change the fact that I still have to be planted on these boards that are to far back to be comfortable.

Thoughts, ideas?
suggestions?

Back in 04 I started looking for an answer for this at meets and bike weeks etc.. accutronix makes a kit but it doesnt accomplish this and costs an arm and a leg.
I want to keep my boards, push them forward and extend the shifter and brake to match, seems easy enough, why isnt this out there yet and dont you think it would sell seeing how many tall long legged riders our out there?
I recently sold my Kawi Drifter, it is an indian look alike with the sweeping fenders and all, cool bike.
Anyway that bike was about 6" longer and had a 5 degree better rake and the boards were a little forward so it was actually more comfortable to ride than my Road King.

I want to find a way to have these made to improve my ride.
Thanks for any input or thoughts you have on this.

Lump

Old 08-30-2012 | 12:45 PM
HDRoadking_nc
Tourer

Perhaps a combination of a seat that moves you back and extended controls? I'm 6' and I got a seat that sat me back about 1" from stock and added the extended levers and it put me in just about the right spot (with the exception of the handlebars needing adjusting/replacing). Also you might want to try the floorboard extensions from Harleygoodies...they give you some much needed room.

Old 08-30-2012 | 12:46 PM
mrwatson75
Tourer

I just got a 10 FLHP..I am 6'2"..I went with a C&C solo with a backrest pushed back an extra 1"(total 3" from stock)(they can go 4" without a backrest option) and I run 19" banana boards..very comfortable for me..

Old 08-30-2012 | 01:23 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 08-30-2012 | 01:28 PM
MrHog
Road Captain

I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and have dealt with this too for years. I have the extended floorboard kit and extended brake pedal. In the next day or two, my C&C Fastback should come in that was cut back 2" from where they normally cut a Fastback. Supposed to be good for guys over 6 foot. I am hoping this will help. I agree, I don't want to lose the boards/controls, but something has to give.

Old 08-30-2012 | 01:48 PM
lumper
|
Road Master

First off, wow thanks for all the input everyone.

Talldog, thats really cool and nearly what I am looking to do.

I would still like to extend the heel shifter since I use it all the time, I only use the toe to drop to first or downshift, otherwise I mall heel.
but I bet I can find an extended reach heel shifter.

I think what you did might be the ticket compared to fabricating my own brackets.

The seat thing is ok for an inch or whatever but I dont want to be married to a seat, I am not even sure what seat I want to go with after I modify the bike, but I would rather see the boards move than the seat.

for now I have a touring seat, its but ugly and will have to go when I stretch the tank anyway.

Talldogs boards are the furthest forward I have ever seen and frankly I think that might be the ticket for me.

The funny thing is he had to use 3 different mods to accomplish what should be a simple adjustment.
I mean what the heck are they thinking at Harley after all these years and why dont they just offer this as a package to taller riders from the get go? seems like they are missing a whole marketshare.

you said"
"I used the Ness brackets which gives me 2" forward,
then the Kury Relocators which give me another 1" forward and 1" out
and finally, the Harley Extended Pans that have a "built in" 1" forward."

I am psyched someone has addressed it and actually found a solution I havent heard of, thanks for the pics too that was really helpful.

But if it works and you can buy it and bolt it on I guess thats what I am looking for.
Talldog, have you tried using a lindby bar or custom highway bar with those boards now?
I wonder if there is a bar that will work with the forward boards.

Thanks alot man, you really gave me hope just now, I am going to look at the same combo you used and price it out and see if I can do the same thing to my 07.

Lump

Old 08-30-2012 | 01:52 PM
lumper
|
Road Master

I just noticed you do have a lindby bar, lol awesome I was wondering if I could do both extend the boards and controls plus use a lindby bar or custom bar, I just had to look more closely.
Lump

Old 08-30-2012 | 02:04 PM
LDB415
Road Captain

I thought this thread was going to be long legged women on Harleys.

Old 08-30-2012 | 02:21 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lumper
I just noticed you do have a lindby bar, lol awesome I was wondering if I could do both extend the boards and controls plus use a lindby bar or custom bar, I just had to look more closely.
Lump
Lumper,

That's actually the Harley "Mustache Bar". The boards are close to the Bar, but I've still got a good 1/2-3/4" clearance.

The only downside to doing this is that you can see the cutout in the Heat Shields that would normally be covered by the Boards. This winter, I'm gonna check into getting the Heat Shield modified and re-chromed.

Old 08-30-2012 | 02:26 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Also, not 100% on this, but I thought on the 2007 frames the Boards had some adjustment?

No adjustment on the 09-up frames though (which makes no sense).

And yea, I agree that Harley should offer something like this for us tall guys.

Quick Reply: long leged riders issues and solution?