Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long leged riders issues and solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012 | 08:39 PM
tallj2000
Cruiser

Amazon Amazon

I use those with the Harley Goodies extensions and it works great for me. Im 6'5"

Old 08-31-2012 | 02:47 AM
3illy
Tourer

Im 6'5'' with 36'' inseam and I hear you brother. Extended forward controls are ok but not a solution. Tall boy seats destroy the look and flow of most HD bikes. Extended forward controls + tall boy seat = bike looks like $#!7.

Conclusion; I wont be spending any real money on a new HD until someone figures this out.

Old 08-31-2012 | 05:42 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

I have a 34" inseam and the MoCo's Sundowner seat, with strategically placed foot pegs out on the engine guard work well. I had a bear of a time (07 FLHT)the 1st year out to Sturgis (700 mile day) until I added these 2 items and now I have a little wiggle room so I can get comfortable in about 3-4 different positions. This has worked out great on both my 07 and 2012.

My heels rest on the footboards, my toes out on the pegs, and I can naturally grab the rear brake-shifter without thinking about it.

Attached Thumbnails long leged riders issues and solution?-20120831_053419.jpg   long leged riders issues and solution?-20120831_053401.jpg  
Old 09-02-2012 | 08:54 AM
lumper
|
Road Master

VTLnut: I started with the same idea, I put pegs on my highway bar, but it isnt that comfy and looks silly.
Almost like a guy in strirups waiting to give birth.
I want to keep my feet in the same position as the boards, only further forward.
Thats why I like a Lindby bar it has the cut out for your feet in line with the brake lever and shifter so you dont have to "spread" your legs so far, which for me is more painful than just staying scrunched up.
I bought a kuray extended shifter and pegs on my bars but my boards are still in stock position so my legs are all stretched out to the sides uncomfortable or to the boards which are to far back, which is why I was looking for a Better solution.

Talldog nailed it with his set up, for me thats exactly what I want.
Lump

Last edited by lumper; 09-02-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2012 | 10:00 AM
basselope
Road Captain
Talking The "Shaq Pack"

6'6" w/36" inseam

This topic is what I call "The Shaq Pack" for us long legged goobers. Its the whole reason I started shopping for a softail, moved to a FatBob and wound up buying a Street Glide. LOL

A big comfort issue for me was that my size 12-1/2 gunboats felt trapped between the OEM shift levers. I could literally slide my heel back against the rear shift peg and still have my toe under the front peg. No wiggle room at all and left me feeling like my foot could easily get hung up if I needed to quickly move from highway pegs back to the boards. A simple mod that helped me considerably was to rotate the front shift lever so that the offset is to the inboard side, then move the peg to the other side. This moves the peg inboard an inch or so and gives me a lot more room for my boot. Shifting is easy by turning my toe inboard a little, but requires a more deliberate motion and makes me feel that I am less likely to catch the peg accidentally during quick motions.

Other items I have added to my Shaq Pack include:
* extended rear shift lever
* HD "Adjustable highway peg mounting kit" for more options in my cruising posture.
* HD Tallboy seat.
* backrest for long-haul riding.

My salesman has nearly the same setup on his RK... he's also a pretty tall guy. He let me test ride his scoot and that sealed the deal. I may add 10" ape hangers at some point, but right now I'm pretty comfortable.