Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Justin Kelly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing cat

I am thinking about gutting my cat and have seen other post where some say you will need a tuner and other say you don't. So what's your opinion? I have 2010 Street Glide stage 1 air cleaner with python mufflers and download..The rest is stock..Thanks in advance..

Old 08-29-2012, 06:38 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I've never gutted a cat on a harley nor do i know much about it but i've done it to cars and i assume most of the stuff would be the same. So youre def gonna have problems if there is an O2 sensor after the cat, if so DONT GUT IT! or the computer wont know wtf is going on. Also, yes ive cutted cats on cars and it helps the sound sometimes but ill never do it again. the reality is that your cat does a lot for the environment and youre not gonna gain any power by gutting it so i encourage people not to do so. You'd be better off to just leave the cat knock out the baffles and call it a day. Hope this helps

Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Energy-Dude
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gutted two, there is no o2 sensor after the cat. If you have the download you will be fine. I've had xied's and a tuner on both of mine.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Kelly
I am thinking about gutting my cat and have seen other post where some say you will need a tuner and other say you don't. So what's your opinion? I have 2010 Street Glide stage 1 air cleaner with python mufflers and download..The rest is stock..Thanks in advance..
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, there's so much information on the topic that you could spend hours reading it all. How much of it is accurate and how much is complete crap is for you to decide.

Affects of removing the cat largely depends on the header pipe design, location of the o2 sensors, and state of the tune.

You'll get lots of anecdotal evidence but the only real answer is to properly test the system with a data-gathering system.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Justin Kelly
Advanced

I don't have any tuner just the download the dealer did with my stage 1. A buddy of put duals on his 2012 Ultra and he said someone told him if he didn't put a tuner on it he would take out his valves.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Classic bagger
Cruiser

I gutted mine, have the stage 1 download and air filter. I noticed a definite improvement in sound and performance. I've talked to guys who have built several nice bikes and they say no tuner needed. No issues with the o2 sensors. I am considering xieds just to richer it up a little.