Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting stock handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM
HDRoadking_nc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting stock handlebars

Quick question, I have a '12 RK and just put a new seat on and was wondering if anyone had adjusted the stock handlebars to bring them back some? If so how much? I feel like I need them about 1" closer to me to be comfortable.

I have a set of heritage style bars that I haven't decided if I'm going to install yet and wondered if the stock bars could be pulled back enough or if I'd be better off swapping them out for the heritage ones.

I'm assuming to adjust the stock bars I'd just need to loosen the top 2 bolts and then rotate them down and then re-torque, correct?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

You are on the right track.
Go Heritage! Start with them centered (of course) and in line with the forks is a good place to start. Loosen the bolts just enough to move 'em, put 'em where you need 'em. Always recheck that they are centered.
When you find the spot, level up your controls as you like them to be.
I found myself laying a little more back on the bike sometimes, with just fingers on the grips out on a long ride - then it hit me - "a little more back".
Now, I am right on the spot.
Stock bars don't get it. H-Bars are a common swap.
Just be sure, turning lock to lock they don't touch the tank.
Ride safe!

Last edited by TheGrandPoohBah; 08-29-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:41 PM
chopper king matt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had original, apes and now beach bars on my 06 RKC and have to say, i love the beach bars, but what i did on the stock bars was to move them down a bit, so that they act like a beach bar and became a lot more comfy to ride, im 6ft if thats any help

Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

It seems to me that demo Harleys I have ridden all have the bars set up a bit too high for my liking. My Glide was also too high and it took me a few attempts to get them just right but they are fine now. Harley doesn't fit bars to make us change them to a different shape or style, so it is well worth taking a little time out to get them to fit.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled back the stock bars on my Road King several times until they just cleared the tank on full lock, but it wasn't enough for comfort because I still had the pain across my shoulders after an hour riding. I put on the Heritage style bars and have been pain free. Very happy with the Heritage style bars.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Bars are like exhausts, you never really know for sure until you have it on the bike and try it out. My apes are the second attempt at comfort with handlebars.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Heritage style bars on my RK and pulled them back as far as they will go without hitting the tank. Pop the top cap, loosen the 2 bolts and adjust as needed then re-tighten. About as simple as it gets.

I hated the stock RK bars and many people do change them out for something with more rise and pullback or at least add some pullback risers. The nice thing about the heritage style bars is that they didn't require new wiring. I've thought about some mini-apes, but don't want deal with rewiring everything.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:22 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you pull the stock bars back, you'll also be pushing the ends further down. I don't think you'll gain anything at all. After a week of riding with my stock bars, I was so happy when the dealer put on the Heritage Style bars. Way more comfortable than stock. Now I can bend my arms and not have to reach for the bars, forward or down.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:40 PM
HDRoadking_nc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grabbed my heritage bars this afternoon and new grips and decided to put them on myself. Glad I did, install went smooth and I'm looking forward to trying them out tomorrow